Got company

Lucy POV
1820 words

When i walked back into the kitchen, three short crowbars lay on the table in front of me. Candle light reflected off their metal surfaces. Lockwood was already holding his, hands gripped it nonchalantly. Kipps had found a rusty mallet in the garage which he claimed was better. The kitchen was a drab little space with wooden cabinets, a butcher block laid atop a counter. Accompanied by a stained sink with ugly round taps. The moon had moved in front of the house and shone through the small window in front of the counter. George's silver bell lay on the window sill, twinkling in the moonlight.

We all gathered in front of the butcher block, Lockwood inserted his crowbar into a narrow space between the countertop and the cupboard below.
"Kipps and I will start," He said, "The rest of you keep watch. This will surely teach him to stop playing tricks on us."
There was a glint in Lockwoods eye, what was it George had said, about Lockwood becoming more reckless? I got a sudden chill up my spine, as i looked at him then, the moonlight reflected off his crazy dark eyes. My nerves jangled as the wood splintered. Maybe it was rotten, it came apart easily, i imagined the echoing sound reverberated around the house

For a moment no one moved, Lockwood paused, then the crowbar hit again, and again. Wood cracked and splintered, shards of wood fell on the tiled kitchen floor and rusted nails came loose. Already a great hole opened to the left of the sink. Kipps stood there with the rest of us, staring at him as he furiously hacked at the wood. I felt my backpack and twisted the lever.
"Ooh the tension!" The skull mused, "Five idiots trying their hardest to rouse up an evil ghost. What will you do if he comes?"
"Skull," I murmured, "This is your last chance to help me out, tell me what you see. Where is the source? What is it? If you could please stop being useless, or else next time i will leave you under the bed." I flinched at the new sound, Lockwood had finally moved over and let Kipps have a go with his mallet.

"Next time?" There was a faint dry chuckle, "Oh there won't be a next time. Either you die here at the hands of a enormous ghost, or you stick to the plan, no more Lockwood and Co. Next time will just be you and me back to having fun!"
"For Pete's sake." I grumbled, "Alright, know what next time will be? Next time i will take one of these crowbars and smash your skull in. How bout that for a next time?" There was a pause.
"Bit harsh. Alright, well all you got to know is he was an awful person when he was alive... and he's an awful person in the after-life."

"Wow helpful, i could have gathered that from George nine hours ago on our briefing!" I glared around at the green glow, the face of the jar peered out at me.
"Ah yes, Cubbins facts. Just remember those and you'll be fine."
Kipps' mallet managed a particularly loud hit through a mustard-coloured panel and sent it flying across the room. Lockwood had moved onto a chair, its back already splintering off. Holly stood staring in shock, George was holding yet another twinkling metal rod.

"Congratulations, you have woken him. Happy now? Because he's not."

Kipps stood upright, wiping his sleeve over his forehead. Lockwood had stopped and also stood upright, his chest moving up and down as he breathed. He crouched slightly again, raising his crowbar to continue. I put my hand on his shoulder, felt his muscle tense beneath my hand for a second, he met my eyes. He had pulled his sleeves up and i hadn't noticed till i pulled away but he had gotten more muscle, blue veins ran up and along them. The darkness in his eyes swirled. We just looked at each other and he put the crowbar down on the table.

"Got company." I announced, moving away from Lockwood, he stood upright and brushed splinters of wood off his shirt and trousers. Kipps was ankle deep in shattered wood, both of them covered in saw-dust and gleaming with sweat. I pointed upward where i had heard clicking and shuffling. The ceiling light swung suddenly, the clicking and shuffling became slightly louder. Just above us in fact.