The mistake in the rain

Lucy POV
616 words

🎵But let me kiss your lips so i know how it felt.
Pay for my coffee and leave before the sun goes down
walk for house in the dark feeling all hell 🎵
- Night Shift by Lucy Dacus

I have no idea how it ended, i didn't see it. But I'm sure it wasn't pretty. A man appeared behind Lockwood, tall, fair build, bald head and some black shirt with crazy letters sprawled on it. Lockwood had turned, a strained smile on his face, his eyes dark. I didn't hear what he had said, i had grabbed my coat and rushed out. But by the sounds of the commotion up the stairs i heard, as i was leaving, it didn't sound too good.
I was walking back home, but before i got there, packed my bags and left, i took a stroll through Hyde Park. I remembered going there on a few cases, i remembered getting out of a night taxi and walking off when me and Lockwood had an argument, and he had saved me from five Lurkers and three Shades he could see behind me.

Lockwood, always there to jump in the way of danger to save others, but he never helped emotionally. He shuts his emotions off like the shutters on lanterns, or a bathroom tap. He didn't even tell me about Jessica, till i already knew half of it. But i was sick of being mad at him, i just felt upset and hungry. I haven't even had lunch, what time was it?? I sighed heavily, sitting down of a worn wooden bench, faint paint strips peeling off. I hung my head to the side of the arm rest and watched happy families sat on the grass, a child running with a ball of string in his small hands, a red kite flying behind him, cutting through the sky, like a knife gliding through butter. All these people blissfully unaware of the fact the sun will set soon, of the curfew bells that rang out, of the fear they will feel in their beds at night.

I don't remember how exactly it had happened but Lockwood was stood in front of me. Breathing heavily, hair even more disheveled, water dripping from his long coat, raindrops falling from strands of his hair. I realised i was also drenched, rain poured down on us. From his jaw grew a lovely bruise that would flourish in the next few days, its red and purple sides already showed through his paper-like skin. My eyes widened and i sat up, rubbing my eyes. I didn't remember falling asleep. The sky had turned a very light peach colour, curfew would be just shy of a few hours away.
"Lockwood! Are you alright?! What happened!" I got to my feet, reached for his face, but he stopped me.
"Lockwood.. let me see.."
"You.. ungrateful.." He didn't finish the sentence but he didn't need to, i felt myself slip away, watching those timeless eyes, filled with anger, betrayal... hurt. Exactly how i felt.

"I let you in! I let you sleep and eat in my house! I fought with you! I let myself risk my life for you! I let myself-" But i didn't let him finish, sometimes i wish i had, sometimes i wish i had let him say whatever he could, let him bore into me till i fell to my knees in a puddle of tears. But instead, my tears fell on his cheeks. His beautiful pale face, his beautiful thin lips and his beautiful rosy cheeks, his beautiful messy hair that fell over his beautiful eyes. How stupid i had been to kiss him. How stupid.

But oh it felt so good, it felt like pure bliss when i felt his warm lips embrace mine. I felt him flinch ever so slightly, his arms lingering in the air. The sun setting behind us.