At Least Once

I hope that you looked at me at least once and thought I love you.

I heard a lot growing up but never the things you said to me.

I don't know. I think words are carved into my skin like names on an old tree, although why so many people bring knives on dates is alarming.

Words only scratched the surface at first but they got deeper and deeper and scarred.

Annoying

Disobedient

Brat

Pain

Nuisance

You loved me, right? Why didn't that scar? Those words brushed over me like a gentle breeze and then disappear. They didn't  stay. You didn't stay.

We had three years together. They were the best three years of my life. I thought maybe when you opened your mouth I'd get a kiss in place of a wound. I did for a while.

I think I did something wrong. Or maybe you did. Or we both did. Or the universe hates me.

You were this glimmer of hope, arms to hold me, shoulder to cry upon. I don't know who gets that now.

Do you whisper sweet nothings in his ears? Do you kiss away his tears? Do you dance with him in the kitchen with the radio on?

Will you be everything for him and then leave?

Bitterness doesn't look good on me. Heartbreak doesn't either.

In the end you were a blessing.

For a while, I was on top of the world.

You were my light and I suppose these things have to be passed on. Maybe you'll find someone else's rainstorm and create another rainbow. Beautiful things fade away.

Still, I hope you look back at least once and think I loved him.