Heart Like Yours

Will awoke to an empty bed.

He frowned, rubbing his eyes with his forearm. It was dark and the room was lit by a red night light that Nico had bought for them both after Tartarus.

Tartarus. Gods, that was a long time ago but it felt torturously raw.

Will could still feel Nico's warmth on the other side of the bed. He tried to focus on it and steady his breathing.

Nico's okay. He's safe.

Wincing, Will pushed himself to sitting. The dark blobs of the cocoa puffs sat scattered around the room. Some lay at the foot of the bed, others in the corners of the room and some nestled in the closet.

Will pulled on a tank top, rubbing the material with his thumb to ground himself. He stood up and padded along the corridor to the kitchen.

He felt every bit of tension being harshly expelled from his body, replaced with knee-weakening relief, when he saw Nico making themself a cup of coffee.

Nico glanced up, stiffening and then forcing himself to relax. They were twitchy in the way they only were after a nightmare.

"Hey, baby." Will breathed steadier.

Nico said nothing, abandoning his coffee and moving to wrap themself tightly around Will. Will responded with equal ferocity, nosing against Nico's temple then burying his face in dark curls. He pulled Nico closer, melding them together as close as was physically possible.

He could feel Nico's hands grasping at the thin material between his shoulder blades. They swayed slightly, matching each other's breathing.

They'd started the habit of regulating themselves like this since returning from Tarturus.

Will felt his heart rate slow down, fear giving way to exhaustion.

"You good, honey?" he murmured.

"Yeah." Nico inhaled sharply, clutching tighter. "Are you?"

"Yeah."

Nico moved his head back to scan Will's face. They liked to check for injuries after nightmares.

Will tried to smile reassuringly. He raised a hand to cup Nico's cheek.

"I'm alright," he said. Nico nodded jerkily.

"I know that in here." He pointed to their head, grimacing. "But not in here." They layed their hand on their heart.

Will nodded, firmly kissing Nico's forehead.

"I can relate to that," he said. "I love you very much."

Nico hummed. "You too."

Wrapping a hand around Will's neck, they brought him down for a short kiss.

Will smiled, nudging their noses together. "Pretty baby."

Nico scowled. "I think you mean fearsome warrior."

"That too," Will agreed. "Got me someone who can do both."

Nico laughed quietly. "You're ridiculous."

"Thank you."

Nico rested his head on Will's chest.

"It's still nighttime," Will reminded them.

"Stay up for a little longer," Nico muttered sleepily. They shifted to grab their phone off the counter and put on a playlist before settling back in his place, shrouded in comfort.

Will moved them from side to side until they were semi-dancing.

Nico smiled, allowing himself to be spun and swayed. He hummed along to the music٫ tugging Will into a twirl.

"How could a heart like yours ever love a heart like mine?" they sang softly. "How could I live before? How could I have been so blind? You opened up my eyes. You opened up my eyes."

Eventually, their dancing dissolved into simply holding each other close.

Nico stifled a yawn. Will handed him their phone and gently guided them back to bed.

They curled up together, Will resting his head on Nico's chest to listen to his heartbeat.

"Pretty baby," he said again as he traced the outline of Nico's collarbone.

He smiled when Nico didn't respond, already fast asleep.

-

A/N

Hey, loves!

I wanna write a Crushes pt3 to expect that to be coming at some point. And maybe an angsty chapter soon too because I feel like I'm going soft on y'all.

Ash x