✯eighty-five✯

"we'll never be those kids again"

When Sirius parked the bike back in front of the house in Godric's Hollow, it took only a few seconds for the front door to fling open.

"James Fleamont Potter!" His wife's enraged voice cracked through the night.

Footsteps came running down the street. "Did you find them?" Cleo panted, coming at them through the dark in her pajamas, her hair dripping wet from the bath.

"Darling, don't panic–"

"Don't panic?" Lily huffed, coming out into the yard, her face nearly as red as her hair. "I don't know if you know this, you tosspot, but you and me are supposed to be in lockdown! I turn my back for one minute to put our son—did you forget we have a son?—to bed, and you disappear into the night with Sirius like forbidden lovers! We are being hunted, James!"

For once in his life, James didn't have any kind of witty comeback.

"Where the hell were you two? I got out of the bath, and you were gone, the window was open. It was like you were kidnapped!" Cleo started, and both boys naturally put their backs against each other in defense as they took an onslaught of attacks from both sides.

"Well, we just–"

"We thought we'd just–"

"A little drive, you know, nothing major–"

"Some police were involved, but there's nothing to worry about–OOF."

James grunted as Sirius's elbow collided with his ribs.

"Police?" Lily repeated, her voice lowering dangerously, eyes about ready to pop out of her skull. "Get. Inside. Now." She gritted through clenched teeth.

"Yes, dear," he said softly, knowing not even a deer joke right now would make things better. He trudged up to the house with his head hung. Lily shoved him from behind, but not before he had time to turn around with a huge, dopey smile: "Bye Sirius, my lover! I had fun tonight!"

Sirius kissed his palm with a loud smack and sent it flying through the air as Cleo grabbed his arm and dragged him away.

"You guys did what last night?" Remus choked as James finished telling him about the wild escapade Sirius and he found themselves on last night. Lily rolled her eyes through the entire story, having heard it all the night before. She didn't care for a lot of James' embellishments, though:

'We were surrounded by nearly 50 officers!'

'A helicopter flew overhead, I think we made the 11 o'clock news."

'They all started shooting at us, but I cast a wandless, silent spell to save Sirius and myself while he drove us away.'

'We sat there as a stag and a dog looking right at them, and they didn't do shit.'