✯sixty-eight✯

"when you say, no, what exactly do you mean by that?"

Lily and Cleo held each other tightly for the rest of the night. They cried on the couch together even after all of their boys went to bed. Nothing to them was more disheartening than realizing that they were some of the only girls of their group left.

It was probably 4 in the morning by the time they finished thinking about sad things and instead started thinking about some of their favorite things. Lily grabbed a bottle of wine.

"Remember when we went on a feminist rant and Marlene couldn't stop chanting, 'boobs rule'?" Lily laughed through her tears and Cleo joined in. They were both sniffling and dabbing at their puffy eyes.

"Or when she convinced you that she was moving to Switzerland to start sheep farming?" Cleo laughed.

"Ugh, you can't blame me, she was so serious about it!" Lily chuckled.

"God, I'm gonna miss her," Cleo shook her head.

"She shouldn't have died," Lily nodded. "She didn't deserve it. Her and her family. It isn't fair," she whispered, and they both stayed silent.

The girls continued to whisper until the sun came up. At 6 in the morning, James came downstairs with Harry in his arms and his hair in disarray. Sirius came out of his room around the same time and noticed James looking into the living room. He walked towards and said good morning to Harry gently, who was looking up at him wide awake. He turned to look at what James was looking at, and noticed that Cleo and Lily were wrapped up together under a blanket, Lily's head resting on Cleo's shoulder and Cleo's head on top of hers as they both slept soundly. Piles of tissues surrounded them and the fire was resided to glowing embers now. There was a bottle of wine on the ground by the couch. Their cheeks were stained with tears, but Sirius couldn't help but smile. Cleo hadn't left again, and Lily finally had her girl to lean on through it all. James and Sirius shared a solemn smile and walked to the kitchen together to make coffee.

The next few weeks were bleak, but they all tried to stay strong. After all, it was a war. They didn't like that they had to become accustomed to death, but they had to remember that Marlene died because she was a part of something. The thought gave them enough peace to keep moving forward.

There were frequent meetings of the remaining members of the Order, at a separate location than the house. James and Lily thought that it was one thing they could keep out of the chaos.

Their home, and their son -- the only good things that weren't touched by war.

What Cleo had said in the hospital was right: Harry Potter was the most loved baby in existence. Having three uncles and an aunt who constantly brought him toys, kissed him, or showed him magic tricks made the sweet boy spoiled rotten.