Chapter 13

Cassie had not slept a wink the whole night. The satisfaction she had felt the day before was later drowned out by the regret she felt which meant she spent the whole night just overthinking.

She didn't know whether she meant it or not. She said what she said out of anger, but she did blame her mother for what was happening to her.

She knew she shouldn't have spoken ill of the dead - though she didn't and still does not really care about her biological father - but she kept thinking that if Caleb didn't resurrect Katherine, then maybe Cassie would've been left alone in the afterlife. Maybe she wouldn't have to deal with whatever was happening to her powers. But she couldn't really blame anyone for what she was going through. She knew deep down that no one was at fault, but for some reason, she kept blaming her mother.

There was a knock at Cassie's door. She poked her head out the blanket and saw that her mother was coming in.

"Hey, start getting ready. We're going somewhere," Katherine told her.

"Where are we going?"

"Just visiting an old friend. She has more experience than the both of us combined, so I think she'll know what's going on with your powers."

Cassie nodded. "Okay."

Katherine gave her a small, half smile before going out and shutting the door behind her.

Cassie let out a deep sigh, letting her head fall back onto the pillow before lifting the blanket to cover her face.

--

Katherine and Cassie sat in the car in complete silence as they drove. No words. No music. Just silence.

"By the way, I did try come check on you guys every once in a while," Katherine spoke, breaking the silence. "But I didn't know you were dealing with all those things."

Cassie sighed. "Why did you cheat?"

"I don't know," she replied honestly. "When I met Caleb, everything just seemed to click with him."

"But you didn't have to cheat. You could've told dad," she said a bit quietly, afraid her voice would crack if she spoke any louder.

"I know. Not telling him was my second biggest mistake," she confessed. "Leaving all of you was my first." She glanced at Cassie. "Especially when I knew you were going to be the witch in the family."

Cassie looked over at her and saw Katherine send her a small, comforting smile. It was almost identical to the ones she would see after she told her small stories about the supernatural like bedtime stories.

She smiled back before looking away. Though she was relieved her mom wasn't mad at her for what she said, she still felt a small part of her that still felt angry.

A few long minutes later after the two's conversation, they finally arrived at the place Katherine's old friend was living.

It was a small occult shop. It had all kinds of things inside it like healing crystals, good luck charms, tarot cards, amulets, and others. Cassie actually found it quite cool when she saw all the different things.

One thing that really got her attention was this silver locket on the front counter.

She stopped to get a look at it. She picked the pendent and held it in her hand to get a better look at it. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but it looked so familiar.

"Cassie!"

She pulled her attention away from the necklace when she heard her mother's voice. She put the locket back where it came from before walking into the back room where her mother and her friend was.