Episode 17 Chapter 24

"You will never be able to protect her in the way you hope. No matter what, you are nothing to her..."

"Maiores meos invoco ut darem mihi potestatem resurgendi mortuos."

"No. No, please!"

"Cassandra Rose Margret Julia Williams, secundo casu vitae do tibi."

Katherine started to raise the dagger to her abdomen despite Prudence's screaming pleads to stop. She stared at the dagger; tears filling her eyes. Then, she closed her eyes before finally stabbing herself with the dagger.

"Please. Please don't leave me. I need you. Please."

"You're going to be okay."

Her hand went limp in Cassie's, and her breathing stopped. Her eyes laid open, but they were cold and dead.

"Mom? Mom?!"

She wanted to cry. She wanted to cry her eyes out until she felt like passing out.

"I'm right here, Cassie."

So, she did.

"I've always been here."

She lifted her head up from Katherine's shoulder and released what was supposed to be a sob.

"You're safe now."

But it wasn't a sob.

"Flower..."

It was a scream.

"Flower, wake up. Cassie. Wake up. Cassie-"

Cassie sat up in her bed, panting as she woke from her sleep. She ran her hands through her hair before falling back into her bed. She felt Luna cuddle up beside her and started gently petting her fur.

She sighed. It was just a dream was the only thing running through her head.

--

"It's high-powered. Like, it has to be a really strong signal," Liam explained.

"And that's causing it to shift?" Lydia questioned.

"No, I don't think it's just that," Scott replied. "Last night, Argent said that it's getting smarter. What if the Dread Doctors are trying to make the beast grow faster?"

Stiles furrowed his brows. "With frequencies?"

"No, by shifting. The frequency is just the trigger. The important part is when it shifts into a werewolf."

"Like Peter," Cassie chimed in.

"Right," Scott replied. "When Peter was an alpha, he got stronger every full moon. Eventually, the burns healed, and he was back to normal."

"So, you're saying the Dread Doctors want the beast to be as strong and as fast as possible without waiting for the full moon," Cassie said.

Scott nodded. "Because of Parrish."

"So, if this is happening tonight, what are we gonna do?" Lydia asked.

"We got one clue to go on," Stiles spoke, reaching for his backpack and pulling out a printed photograph. He put it in the middle of the table. "This came from the hospital."

Cassie furrowed her brows. "A footprint?"

Stiles nodded. "Whoever's lurking inside the beast is wearing a size ten of indeterminate make."

Lydia looked up at him, raising a brow. "Indeterminate?"

"It means partial print. Basically, it was all we were able to get considering all the fire, blood, and carnage."