CHAPTER TEN (edited)

A cold breeze hits me, the velvet curtains blow aggressively against their stoic nature. I look down at the mess that she created, glass shards and petals decorating the marble floor, little cracks edging the corner of some squares from impact. "Jane?" I called out. Seeing the stained crimson, red-covered glass on the floor, my heart starts to speed. I carefully tread towards the cold that is freezing up the room, my pulse going at the speed of each breeze. I cave my head through the broken window. Reluctantly, I tilt my head down. Nothing. There's no corpse. A breath of relief exits my chest. She didn't jump. So where is she? The bathroom, I ponder. I gulp down my anxiety before I run over to the en-suite hiding behind the bed. 

I open the door slowly only to be met with a tissue roll thrown at my face. What the-? Astounded, I stopped in my tracks. I make eye contact with her, and another roll hits me. "Stay away from me! I hate you!!!" she shrieks as she continues to strike me.

In shock, I let out a stifled laugh as she hits me again. "Will you stop attacking me with rolls?" I ask. Am I really asking her this? I aim my gun at her head. But for the first time, she doesn't react. What's happening?

"WHY DON'T YOU JUST KILL ME?" she shouts out. Jane charges at me, hitting my chest with her body. Is she trying to provoke me? I stay frozen still as she grips onto my shirt before slowly putting my gun away. Her fist pierces my chest. And another. "I despise you! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!" she cries out.

My arms wrap around her waist against my will. Holding her tightly, I let her hit me to her heart's content. It felt like an eternity before her punches were getting weaker, allowing me to slowly lower myself down with her. Taking her with me, we both hit the floor gently, the room calming as the whistles of the distant wind took over all sound. Her tears dampen my shirt as her head caves into my chest. My arms reach for the back of her hair, and hesitantly, I place my palm on her hair. "Shhhh" I soothe as her body jolts in between sobs.

What has just happened? Why am I comforting her? A knot in my stomach forms as I continue to stroke her hair. Jane lays in my arms in silence, her meltdown seemingly draining her. The sudden sound of footsteps breaks the stillness before I put my arm out for whoever was behind me to stop in their tracks. "Jane?" I whisper.

"I'm hungry" she mumbles out weakly. Did anyone feed her yet?

"Let's get you something to eat," I suggest, lifting her head up. Cole steps back silently as his familiar scent leaves, heading back out of the room. "Hm?" I hum before hesitantly lifting her up in my arms. To my surprise, she doesn't fight me or dispute, she gives in, letting me hold her.

With her weak body laying in my arms, I carry Jane down the stairs. Her under-eyes, a traumatized shade of gray as she opens them slightly every few seconds, most likely wavering her decision. "What do you want to eat?" I ask as we walk into the kitchen. Pulling a chair out with my foot, I sat her down on it carefully as she let her arms fall to her sides, her head caved at her wrapped thigh. I crouch down to get to her eye level, hoping my position will persuade her of my intentions. "Hmm?" I rub her knee softly, insinuating for her to face me.

"Anything," Jane whispers, her leg twitching slightly at my closeness. With that answer, I got up and walked over to the fridge with a harsh inhale, so fucking exhausted by today. I get the eggs out, and lay them on the counter before me as I turn, grabbing a quick glance of Jane on the other side of the kitchen bar.

"How about an omelet?" I suggest in a mumble, slightly embarrassed by my lack of skill in this part of life. What felt like a million years and a light flash of a moment all at the same time, her eyes finally met mine willingly.

"I'd love that," she responds, her voice so gentle and sweet. Her voice makes my cheek tingle and I don't know why. Ever since she's arrived, all I can feel is this horrible churn in my stomach, not letting me think for a second.