22 | Twenty Two.

22 | Twenty Two.

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"We're late."

"We're not late." Mom insisted.

"Oh, we're so late," I said, "but that'll just add to the entertainment."

She nodded, looking at me, "you get it."

"The last time we were late, Taylor said there'd be consequences." Rory said as we all crossed the street, devil lady included.

"That's the best part, sister." I smiled, seeing Luke, and ultimately deciding to run over to him. Anything to get away from the putrid smell of Mia's perfume. It was literally old people, mixed with bleach, and a tad of lavender.

She just smelt like Mia, okay?

"Hi," I waved, watching as he locked the door. "Jeez!" He jumped, turning around. "Don't sneak up on me like that, kid."

"Where's the fun in that?" I asked.

"Maybe, not making me have a heart attack," he grumbled. I scoffed, "oh please, Lukester, we both know your life would be eternally boring without my gracious presence."

"Crazy, kid," he mumbled.

All sense of enjoyment immediately drained as my mom, Rory, and Mia approached us.

After much rambling from mom and I, and a few complaints from Luke, we arrived.

We, in fact, were late.

"I'm in the business community and I wasn't told about it." Luke pointed.

God, I love watching Luke get angry.

Pause. That sounds weird.

Everyone began to whisper, very poorly, might I add. "Taylor?" Luke asked. "Alright, fine! You weren't invited, Luke." Taylor exclaimed, Luke's eyebrows shot up. "And why is that?"

"Controversy!" Mia whispered, smiling. Shut up. I thought.

"You weren't invited, because we are dealing with the Jess situation."

Hold up, what now?

"The Jess situation?" Luke and I asked simultaneously. He was more than a bit louder than me, however.

"If this was the Wild West, we'd be diving into the water trough right about now." Mom pulled Rory and I into seats.

"Damn it, Taylor!" Luke yelled.

"Luke, honey, calm down."

"After all, this is all your doing. If you hadn't so cavalierly dismissed the issue, we wouldn't have had to do this. I lost business because of what your hooligan nephew did." Taylor argued. "How was business lost, Taylor? If you had opened a little later that day, your customers would've just came back later."

"Not, so-when Mrs. Lanihan couldn't buy her head of lettuce that morning for her lunch. She drove straight to Woodbury to hit lettuce from a competing market. Isn't that right, Mrs. Lanihan?"

I watched them go back and forth, Luke getting even more angry, and Taylor pissing me off more and more.

"The charges against your nephew are numerous. He stole the 'save the bridge' money-"

"He gave that back." I called out.

Taylor's eyes darted to me. "He stole a gnome from Babette's garden-"