50| Cowboy Like Me.

50 | Cowboy Like Me.

| 3rd POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Delivery," Jess said.

Sage smiled, leaning against the door. "What are you doing here?"

He shrugged, diverting Sage's attention to the huge box in his hands. "Luke figured since you're alone tonight, and maybe you wouldn't have food in the house, he'd send over a care package."

"Aw, he knows me so well." She teased, holding open the door for him.

He followed her as she walked into the kitchen. "How much food is in there? Luke does know I am not my sister, nor my mother, correct?"

Jess laughed, setting the box on the table. "He wanted you taken care of. Regardless of your striking independence when it comes to your attitude and arguing skills, you do not know how to take care of yourself in the survival department."

When Sage went to intervene, he stopped her. "Nuh uh, I've watched you forget to eat multiple times per day."

Sage rolled her eyes, trying to hide her smile. "So, how come Ceaser didn't bring this over?"

"I volunteered." Jess said.

"Why?" She asked, looking up at him. "Just wanted to get out of the construction zone, there's nothing but banging and yelling. Place gives me a headache."

Her eyes turned teasing. "Aw, so my incredibly flawless company wasn't at least a partial factor in your decision?"

It was much more than a partial factor, Jess thought.

"Well," he sighed. "I guess it didn't hurt."

Sage smiled, "thank you, my Prince Charming. You've now rescued my ego from the trenches."

"I am honored to be of service," he replied.

Her face softened, "but seriously, he didn't have to do this, neither of you did. So, thank you."

He looked at her, his eyes lighting up. "Anytime, princess."

"Well, if you possibly wanted to extend your peace away from the complete chaos at Luke's, and experience even more of my excellence," she said, "you could always stay?"

His eyes danced to hers, his pupils growing in size. "You sure?"

"I'd be personally offended if you didn't." She replied.

"Regardless of your massive ego?" He teased. She nodded, smirking. "Regardless of my massive ego, yes. It'd really be a hit to my self esteem."

"We certainly can't have that, now can we?" He asked, taking off his jacket.

"No, we certainly cannot." She held out a chair for him.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Oh, come on! That is so not fair and you know it." Jess argued, leaning forward in his chair.

"Life's alll about tough choices, pretty boy." Sage shrugged, placing a fry in her mouth. He looked down, trying to ignore the way his chest felt when she called him that.

"You can't make me chose between Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte. They're writing styles are completely different. Austen's more story based, while Bronte's most thought provoking. This is a ridiculous question!" Jess said.

"Too bad, idiot. Personally, I've gotta say Bronte."

"How can you pick so easily?" He asked. "Oh, trust me, I've been thinking on it for weeks." She assured.

After much deliberation, Jess sighed, "Austen."

Sage smiled, nodding. "Approved."

"So," he said.

"So." She replied.

He looked down at her, "is that my hoodie?"

"You're just now noticing?" She smiled.

"It's cute on you." He mumbled, tilting his head. "I would offer to give it back, but it's the most comfortable item of clothing I own." She curled her legs up to her chest.

"Don't worry, I can live without it." He said, his hands in the air.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"I still can't believe grandma stole a bathrobe." Sage mumbled.

"That makes two of us," Rory agreed.

"So, what's on the agenda for today?" Lorelai asked, looking at the two. "Let's see, Dean, Dean, Dean, and uh—oh! Did I mention Dean?" Rory smiled. "Ooh fun, don't get pregnant or kidnapped. Or both." Sage teased.

"How about you?"

She shrugged, drumming her hands on the table. "Who knows?"

"Alright well, I gotta get to the Inn." Lorelai groaned, standing up. "I'll get the check." Sage told her mom and sister.

"Hey, old man." Sage smiled, walking up to the counter.

"What, you find a nail in your food? I swear to god—Tom, you are dead! You hear me? Dead!" Luke yelled.

"There nothing wrong with the food, Luke." Sage laughed.

"Oh. Sorry, Tom."

"I just wanted to thank you." Sage said. "Yeah, for what?" He asked.

"For last night. You know, the big box?" She replied. "Is that some kind of innuendo I don't understand? There was no box, kid."

"Hey, Luke, I think they hit the water line again." Jess interrupted.

"Oh my god. Tom! You are dead. You hear me? Dead!" Luke called out, storming off. Sage's eyes followed him, before darting back to Jess.

"Hm," she tilted her head. "Interesting."

"You wanna pay?" He asked.

"I don't think he knew anything about the food last night, Jess. Got an explanation?" She grinned.

"That'll be $12.50."

"That means you lied about why you came over. Which, by default, means you wanted to." She said, pulling out money.

"I don't have any quarters, I'm gonna have to give you nickels."

"How sweet? You wanted to see me." She teased, watching him.

"Here's your change. Come again soon."

"You're cute." She laughed. "I have to get back to work." He said.

"You're also squirming. I've never seen you squirm. It's very entertaining."

"Oh yeah?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah." She smiled.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺