36| Daylight.

36 | Daylight.

| 3rd POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

Neither Jess nor Sage spoke the entire way to her house, both too caught up in their own heads to even form a complete sentence.

When they arrived at her door, they both froze, physically, internally.

Jess didn't want to go. He didn't want to leave her, unless that was what she wanted. But he had just practically gave himself up to her, he was simply putty in her hands.

And he didn't even try to deny it.

He knew his fate. He knew, from the day he met her, Sage Gilmore was going to be something. Whether something bad, or something good, he didn't know. But he knew she was going to either tear him apart, or piece him back together. But he knew, regardless, he wouldn't regret it.

Nobody could ever regret Sage Gilmore. That's the best, and the worst thing about her.

"You said you can keep a secret?"

His eyes snapped to hers, hazel on blue. A brown and green forest against a raging ocean. Fire against water.

Sage made a decision in that moment. One that was either going to ruin her, or save her. For once, she decided to forget the future. Any problems this could bring, any inevitable heart break. She ignored it. She was done worrying about problems for another day. She was done crying because of her dad. She was done having panic attacks about the possibility of her not getting into college.

She was done worrying about what was going to happen. She wanted to be free of her own shackles. And if that meant making this decision? If that meant letting Jess in? So be it.

She let a small smile grace her lips, the smile she saved for him, and only him. "Then, come on in."

He looked down at her, apart of him thinking she was joking. Apart of him couldn't believe she was trusting him. Apart of him couldn't believe she'd chosen him.

Cautiously, he followed her up the stairs, wandering mindlessly behind her as she walk inside. He didn't care about anything else, just her.

"Oh! Sage, finally—" Lorelai smiled, clearly forcing it. Her eyes snapping to Jess. Sage looked at her mom, then her grandpa, then Rory. It was tense.

"Jess just needs a book for school, so we'll just be a minute," she moved closer to her mom. "Then, I've got grandpa." Her mom sighed, exhausted.

"Thank you," she mumbled, going back to whatever tense conversation she had been having.

Sage knew, given the circumstances, if her mom wasn't so stressed with grandpa, she would never just let Jess in Sage's room alone, especially if she knew they'd almost kissed. But Sage figured she'd use it to her advantage.

She softly grabbed Jess's hand, wrapping her fingers around his pinky.

As she lead him into her room, Richard turned to Lorelai. "Why did you just let her do that?"

"Do what, dad?" Lorelai sighed.

"Let Sage be alone with that—that boy!"

"Oh my god." She muttered.

Sage shut her door, keeping her back turned away from Jess. She felt his footsteps approaching behind her, but he made sure to keep his distance.

"There's something about you I can't explain, Sage." He said. "But whatever it is, it makes me want you in ways I can't even describe. I've never felt like this about anyone, and it scares the absolute shit out of me."

She finally faced him, her heart pounding inside of her chest. Her eyes locked onto his.

"Sage, I don't care if this is a secret, okay? I know I'm good for you, I know I'm not perfect. But I want to try this, princess. I might be bad at it, and you might hate me in the span of a week, but I really want to try with you." He said, meaning every single word he said.

He was right, she thought. He's not perfect. Not even close.

He was bad. He smoked, he broke the law, he was rude, he didn't listen to anyone. He didn't care because no one taught him how to. But when it came to her, she saw the look in his eyes. The way his face would softlen anytime he looked at her. The way he'd glare at everyone in a room except for her. He wanted so badly to protect her from the world, the girl who cared about someone as worthless as him in all her perfection.

He wasn't perfect, but he was all she wanted.

She heart sank at the realization. As she realized just how much she wanted him. No matter what his past was, no matter what he had done. She wanted him. In all his imperfection, all his flaws. She needed him.

The next thing she knew, she was stepping forward. She found herself wrapping her hands around his neck, and pulling his head down.

The next thing she knew she was kissing him.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺