57| Maroon.

57 | Maroon.

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Hold the wheel."

"What?" Sage snorted, looking at Jess.

"I'm dripping here! Hold the wheel." He repeated, barley holding onto the wheel.

"I can't hold the wheel—you're the one driving, idiot!"

"I'm letting go," he said, taking off his hands.

"Oh my god!" Sage exclaimed, quickly reaching over him to hold onto it. "Jess—I can't even drive normally, much less when I'm not the one in the drivers seat."

"You can't drive?" Jess asked, shoving his ice cream in his mouth.

"No, I failed the test. Twice," Sage laughed.

Jess grinned, "I haven't even taken it."

"Great, so neither of us can drive." Sage huffed. "Okay, hurry up! I'm panicking."

"Okay, okay! I got it." He replaced her hands with his, smiling. She groaned, "you are so dead after you stop this car."

"Thanks for the warning." He teased. "You couldn't kill me even if you wanted to. Think of how dull your life would be without me."

"Yeah, it'd be a lot safer." She scoffed, looking over at him. "But very boring," he pointed out.

She rolled her eyes, smiling. "Serious question?"

"Go for it." He said.

"What do you wanna do with your life? You clearly don't care about school, even though you're smarter than everyone there. So, what are your plans?" She asked.

"I plan to get out of Stars Hollow."

She smiled, "and go where?"

"Wherever." He replied.

"And do what?"

He looked over at her. "Whatever."

"I'll live where I live, I'll work when I need money, and I'll see where I end up." He explained.

"Is that really what you want?" Her tone wasn't assuming, or judgmental, simply curious.

"Yes." He responded, honestly.

She nodded, "alright then. I'm dropping it."

"So, Courtney, what about you?" He taunted, feigning enthusiasm. Sage laughed. "What about me?"

"What are your big ambitions?"

"I wanna go to Yal—Harvard. Harvard. I want to go to Harvard." She looked down.

"So Yale, huh?"

She grinned, cracking her knuckles. "Yeah."

He nodded. "You know you can do it, right? Your the smartest person I know. You work harder than anyone I know. You can get in anywhere you want."

"Thank you," she mumbled.

"And after Harvard?"

"I have absolutely no clue." She took a deep breath. "My sister does, she knows exactly what she wants her future to be."

"Not you?" He asked.

"No," she shook her head. "Not me."

"You'll figure it out. I know you will." He said, his head nodding slightly. "Yeah, I hope so." Her smile softened. They were both quiet for a minute, neither of them knowing quite what to say.

"So, I guess we should be getting back. I did promise to study after this getaway." He teased.

"Yeah, you did." She whispered.

"Okay, so I just go straight and we'll be back at Luke's." Jess said. "Good sense of direction, how shocking." Sage taunted.

"Of course," he began, "I could turn right and then we'd just be driving around in circles for a while." He looked over at Sage, his eyes sparkling with flames of brown twirling around.

She bit her lip, resisting the urge to smile. Her eyes met his, a fire burning beneath both of their chests and butterflies in their stomachs.

"Turn right." She muttered.

"As you wish," he smiled.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺