60| Afterglow.

60 | Afterglow.

| Sage's POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Hey, mom?" I asked, glaring at the stupid pink flowers on the middle of the table. "Yeah, sweetie?"

"Can you get me out of going to dinner tonight?" I mumbled.

"Sage-" she started, but I stopped her. "Please? I really can't tonight." I shook my head, looking up at her.

She sighed, but nodded. "Yeah, okay. It actually gives me a little more time to work on my Why Sage Is Wearing A Cast story for your grandparents."

"What do you have so far?" I asked.

"I'm thinking really big bees."

"Could you possibly get me out, too?" Mom turned to Rory, a betrayed look on her face. "I know, I know, but Deans coming home tonight and I really wanna spend time with him."

"Fine, fine. I'll take on the hellions all by myself." She huffed.

"Thank you," Rory and I said together.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"I still can't believe he just left like that," Maddy said, walking beside me. "But don't worry, I'm sure he had a good reason." She smiled.

"Yeah," I forced a laugh. "Yeah, probably."

"Hey, I'll be right back, okay?" I told her, glancing across the street. "Okay," she nodded, "take your time."

I quickly crossed the street, walking up to Taylor. "Hi, I know you're probably really upset with me and I completely understand, what we did was really wrong and I'm so sorry about the car-"

"Oh, nonsense. It's okay, Sage. I know it wasn't your fault, nor choice." He said, smiling.

My eyebrows creased. "What do you mean?"

"Well, we both know that Jess was bad news. Everyone does! I know you would never do anything like that on your own accord. You do not have to apologize for his rudeness and utter disregard for the rules." He said.

"I-"

"Oh, and just look at that arm!" He exclaimed, frowning. "You poor, poor thing."

"It's fine, really." I shook my head. "And I'm also really sorry about your sign, I know that thing meant the world to you and I'm so sorry it was ruined."

"That wasn't your fault either, Sage. Jess was driving, and that boy is a walking natural disaster. They should name a tornado after him." Taylor nodded.

"But he didn't cause it, Taylor. It's really not his fault-"

"Sage, you don't have to explain a thing to me. I know that there's no way you would be involved in something like that if it weren't for that Sal Mineo wannabe. Believe me, Chachi and Chachi alone will be held responsible for that incident, okay?"

"Yeah, okay." I mumbled.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Oh! Sage, sweetie, wait right there baby!" Babette called out, running down her stairs.

I stopped walking, turning to her. "Is everything okay?"

"I should be asking you that question! Come here, let me see that arm." She exclaimed, lightly grabbing it. "Oh, you poor thing. How you doing hun?"

"I'm great," I nodded, forcing a smile. "Oh, look are you, being brave like that after all you've been through. Jeez, it's so hard being a woman, isn't it?" She said, following me as I walked up to my house.

"Whatever you say, Babette."

"I mean you got your morals, your standards, and your good common sense, and then bam!" She paused. "You meet some guy, and all that goes right out the window."

"No, you don't understand-"

"For every good woman there's a dirty, little wolf just ready to lead her astray. You can't help it. He's got the eyes, the chin, chest hair you could carpet your dining room with-" my face grimaced. "What's a woman to do? We're not made of steel, for gods sakes."

"Babette, listen-"

"I was in a cult once, did I I tell you that? I met this guy once, gorgeous, tan, looked, just like Mickey Hargitay. We had coffee, he gave me a pamphlet, next thing, you know, I'm wearing a Muumuu, playing a tambourine, jumping up and down at the airport!"

"Okay, I really have to go," I laughed, my fists clenching.

"Sure hon, go take care of yourself. And don't be embarrassed, toots, this had happened to all of us!"

Goodness gracious.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Do we absolutely, 100%, totally, entirely, utterly undebatably have to go?" I asked.

"Unfortunately, yes." Mom said.

I groaned, letting my head fall back onto the seat.

"Do you want any food?" Rory said to me, looking back. I shook my head, "no, thank you."

"You okay, Sage? Does your arm hurt?" Mom pulled out her food, glancing at me through the rearview mirror.

"I'm fine." I said.

"You don't sound fine," Rory pointed out.

"Maybe you should get your ears checked then," I teased, forcing a smile.

"We won't stay for long, okay? Just long enough to get five or six withering stars from my dad, and be taken down three of four notches by my mother. Then we're outta there." Mom grinned.

I sighed, "okay."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺