39| So It Goes...

39 | So It Goes...

| 3rd POV |

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"Are you kidding? That was so not my fault!" Sage exclaimed, ringing out the water from her hair.

"It totally was!" Jess said, rubbing his hair with his jacket, the only item of clothing he had that wasn't soaking wet. "You tackled me, I had to defend myself."

"Nuh uh," Sage shook her head, "I never would've jumped on you like that if you never said The Great Gatsby was bad!"

"I never said it was bad! I said I couldn't finish it. Too wordy." Jess defended. "And I never would've brought it up if you said you've never read Visions Of Cody!"

"Well that's just as ridiculous! And besides, any book written in twenty days can't be that good, plus it remained unpublished for years." Sage retorted.

"Whatever," he said, "I think we can both agree that this is your fault."

"No freaking way!"

"What the hell is going on?" Jess and Sage's heads both turned to the side, seeing Luke and Lorelai standing there. They had just finished eating lunch, the basket on the bench between them.

Uh oh.

"Mom?"

"Luke?"

"What are you doing?" Jess and Sage, and Luke and Lorelai all asked, simultaneously.

"Uh—why are you both soaking wet?"

They looked at each other, Jess nodding for Sage to talk. She huffed, turning back to her mom.

"There was a—an incident. Involving—"

"A swan." Jess concluded.

"A swan?" Luke and Lorelai asked.

"A swan." Sage nodded. "It was bizarre. We both just happened to run into each other when we were walking across the bridge. Then, suddenly, a swan swoops down on us! So, we both stumble backwards and somehow end up falling into the lake."

It wasn't that far off the truth.

They did end up falling in the lake. It was just due to a wrestling match, not a swan. Oh well, close enough.

"What are you two doing?" Jess asked, stopping either of them from asking any more questions.

"Uh—"

"It was either him or a scuba diver." Lorelai said, shrugging. "Fair enough," Sage mumbled.

They all stood there, awkwardly.

"At least your mascara's waterproof?" Lorelai told Sage, both of them nodding appreciativly.

More silence.

"You know, I think I'm gonna go shower." Sage said, nodding softly. "I feel like a wet fish." She said, motioning to her hair. "Fish are wet—" Jess interrupted Luke, "don't bother."