Be There / A Great Guy - Ino

"Kankuro let me know today that Shikamaru is going to propose to Temari tonight. They're meeting at the bar for a little impromptu celebration afterwards. They'd like for us to be there."

Shino looked over at her as they laid on the bed together, eating popcorn and watching tv.

"Sure, what time?"

She shrugged.

"Around nine? I really don't want to go-"

"You should probably be there for your friend."

He was right, but she was exhausted.

"I don't have anything to wear-"

"We can go out and find you something. And then you can nap until 8:30."

She sighed.

"I don't want to bore you with clothes shopping."

He looked at her with that serious face.

"I don't mind. Girls like to look nice for special events, right? This probably counts."

***

Ino walked into the bar that night, feeling beautiful. The long blue dress was flowy, hiding her thin legs. And the new cream-colored cardigan fit better than her old bulky one. Shino was beside her, dressed as usual in his jacket and glasses, which was fine. They quickly found Gaara and Kankuro, who were sitting at the table for six.

They all chatted for a while, waiting for the couple.  And while Gaara and Shino were deep in a conversation about strategy, Kankuro whispered into her ear.

"Would you like to dance with me?"

She nodded and they excused themselves.  Ino let Kankuro pull her onto the dance floor, confidently scooping her up to a dancing position. He held her against himself, whispering to her again.

"I've been worried about you this month. How are you?"

Kankuro had always been warm to her throughout the years. And he had been very warm toward her on this trip. If Shino hadn't been around, she would've melted into this man's arms.

"I'm doing much better, actually. This trip has been a blessing."

He watched her with a little smile on his face.

"You seem like you've been getting stronger each time you've been in the office."

"I have. Shino's been staying with me. He's been a big help."

"How long have you two been together?"

"A month."

She lied; she didn't know what they were.

"That's too bad. I just missed my chance."

This made her blush.

"Yeah. Sorry, Kankuro."

He gave her a small smile, spinning her very gently.

"No, I'm the one who's sorry. I didn't know that while Shikamaru was here, you were suffering in Konoha. I would've scooped you up and brought you here."

Now she was really blushing. The song was over, and they were just standing there.

"If things don't work out, call me? I'll treat you like a princess."

"I will. Thank you."

She hugged him tightly. He was a great guy. It's just that another great guy was at the table waiting for her. 

 Her great guy. 

 Someone whom she needed to solidify things with.