Just In Time - Shino / Everyone Deserves Somone To Try For Them - Ino

"Kuro, stop."

Shino glanced over at the dog, who was licking his ear gently. He always had his jacket, so Kuro was excited to have full access to the side of his head, especially since his hands were full. The dog nuzzled him, her nose in his ear. It was weird, having a dog that was low-key obsessed with him, and it was going to be a long night. Not that he hadn't been sleeping on Kuro all week: they had been camping and the big dog was comfortable with him and had been for years. So comfortable that he wasn't sure if she'd let Ino join.

But Kuro knew that Ino was in trouble, maybe more so than he did. She was very intuitive on top of her sensory nature. If Kuro was pushing food on Ino, she was in trouble-

"Shino?"

"Yeah?"

He must've woken Hana.

"Did Ino come back with you?"

"Yeah. She's here."

He checked to make sure she was sound asleep before continuing. She knew something.

"Hana, what's going on? I spent the night before last in the hospital corridor because I thought Ino was dying. What is this escort?"

He heard her sigh softly.

"We really are here as an escort. I guess Ino begged Kakashi to do some work outside of the village, and Shikamaru was against bringing her. I heard that she's sick, but I didn't know she was that sick."

"She told me that she's not been well mentally or emotionally since the war. And it's killing her physically."

"I suspect that Kakashi hopes that getting her out of the village will help. She's already been assigned to our team and Shikamaru's been debriefed, so it's done. If you have to get home, I can handle the escort with Kiba-"

"You know I'm not leaving."

"You sound comfortable, at least.  Even if you did spend a night at the hospital."

He looked down at Ino.

"She's so thin; she said she's always cold. At least she stopped shivering when I gave her my jacket, even with that bulky sweater on."

"Some of that might be psychological. Losing an entire clan would kill most people. It broke that Uchiha kid in your class, and that was almost 20 years ago.  But she's also so thin..."

She was right. He was just glad she was warm and comfortable for the moment.  He was also glad that she was in his arms.

"Kiba left so I could ask her to dance.  I held her in my arms at the hospital, too.  It was nice."

"Looks like it worked.  She seems like she really needs someone, too.  You came along just in time."

"Where were you tonight?"

Hana chuckled.

"I was in a phone booth in the empty rec room, having a long conversation with Kakashi."

She had put the emphasis on 'empty.' That was enough information. He rolled his eyes, grinning.

"Gross."

She let out a quiet laugh, rolling back over and going back to sleep.

***

Ino awoke in a warm place. It took her a moment to realize that she was in Shino's arms with her face against his shirt. She pulled herself away, looking up at him.  He spoke gently.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I think so. What time is it?"

"It's morning.  Hana already got up and left."