Head Canon - Shino

"Good morning, you two."

Shibi appeared in the morning, alone, and Shino knew that his nosy girlfriend wouldn't be able to leave the subject alone. He sat at his usual spot at the kitchen table.  She poured his father a hot mug of tea, eyeing him.

"You know, Tsume can use the front door next time."

Shibi wasn't taking the bait, responding casually.

"I know."

He sipped his tea slowly, breathing in the steam.  Ino continued to pester him.

"Is it more romantic to slip in the bedroom window like teenagers?"

"There's no romance there."

Shibi answered curtly. Ino sat in the seat beside him, a goofy smile on her face. Shino was trying not to laugh as she spoke.

"In Ino's head canon there is."

Shibi glanced over at her.

"No. No head canon. Don't put me in your head canon."

She sighed dreamily, resting her chin against her hands.

"You can't stop me. A widower who still loves his wife 20 years later begins sleeping with a war widow. His best friend's wife who was left behind. I'd read that romance novel-"

"Ugh, Ino. Stop. It's not like that."

Shino sipped his tea, amused.

"I'm not condoning her head canon, but she's not wrong."

"Hey, I'm still PMSing. Let me have this."

"You can't have this! It's my- wait. You're PMSing?"

Shibi looked over at her, surprised. She grinned.

"You two have taken really great care of me over the past month. My body's doing what it's supposed to do again."

Shibi was trying to suppress his smile, Shino could tell. He actually looked a little emotional.

"Good job, Kid. You're doing it."

Ino got up and threw her arms around his shoulders.

"Thanks, Dad."

She kissed his cheek gently, making his bottom lip quiver as she held him tightly. She sat back down and Shibi wiped his eyes as he held his tea.

"We were so worried that you wouldn't make it... and now you're flourishing and making up dumb head canons."

Shino laughed as Shibi continued.

"Son, take this woman out for some ice cream."

"I did last night! A chocolate hot fudge sundae with gummy worms on top. Yuck. And Sushi before that, but that was good.  And a sad movie, of course.  The saddest."

Shino stuck his tongue out, making her laugh.  And then he remembered.

"Hey, Ino.  I have to go into the Academy tomorrow.  I have to do some ninjutsu training.  Are you going to be okay without me?"

She nodded.

"Yeah, of course!"