A Hero's Lunch / Kindred Spirits - Shino

As Shino dismissed his students for lunch, he glanced out the window... and was surprised to see his girlfriend. He hadn't spoken to her since the night before, leaving her asleep as he quietly showered and got ready this morning before leaving for the Academy. He'd even had the school nurse repack his nose in an effort not to wake Ino up.

He wasn't angry, he just felt the grief in his heart and preferred the silence right now. But coming here always made his heart feel full. He loved his students: they were so untouched by the past. They were too young to remember the war. He was in a much better place today just by coming here.

Opening the window, he took her hand and helped her into his classroom. She had fat snowflakes in her hair from the walk over, which he brushed off of her. She gave him a beautiful smile, hanging him the wrapped bento box she was holding, which was also covered in snow.

"This is for you."

Ino leaned in, kissing his cheek gently. She whispered into his ear.

"Thank you for your support yesterday. And all of the days before that. This anniversary has been hard, and I've been a mess. I love you so much, Shino. Thank you for being my hero. I made you a hero's lunch."

He pulled his free arm around her, pulling her in. He wanted to bury his face in her shoulder, but it was so painful today.

"Thank you. I love you, too." I hope you're feeling better today."

"I needed a good cry yesterday. How's your face? Who repacked it?"

Was she jealous?

"It's okay. The school nurse repacked it for me when I got here."

"Oh."

He thought he saw a little panic in her eyes.  Was it over someone else packing his nose?

"Thank you for the lunch. It means a lot."

He walked her to the front doors of the Academy, stalling because he didn't want her to leave, but they both knew that he couldn't leave his kids for too long. With one more kiss, she whisked out the front door, giving him a small wave. He stood there, a little awestruck by her thoughtful gesture, and the possibility that she might be jealous that someone else took care of him. 

 Really?

He walked to the cafeteria where the younger kids usually ate. Sitting down at the table by himself, he took Ino's lunch and untied the furoshiki, opening the box. She had cut fruit slices into butterflies for him and made him a wild green salad as well as meatballs with a sauce on them. Their skewers had little butterflies.

"Ooh, did someone make you that?"

Two of his nosy girls came over, sitting with him at the table. He grinned.

"Yeah, my girlfriend just dropped it off."

He never spoke about Ino. Ever. Their eyes grew wide.

"You have a girlfriend, Shino Sensei?"

He chuckled.

"Sure, I do. We were in the same Academy class."

"What's her name?"

"Ino."

Both girls squealed.

"I bet she took care of you when you hurt your face."

"She did."

He picked up a meatball skewer and popped it in his mouth, removing the plastic stick and savoring its sweet flavor.  The subject of his bruised face was unavoidable this morning, so he told them that it was a training accident as soon as class started. Luckily, or unluckily, Iruka walked up to the table.