Pleasant Thoughts / Fingertips - Ino

Shino had been right about staying at the hospital: they didn't discharge her until late last night. She had eaten the second kashipan with him and had some miso by the evening, so they had agreed to let her go. And it had all stayed down! But being discharged meant that she had to return to her Inn room.  He had delivered her straight to Hana, wishing her a good night before leaving.

And Hana had turned out to be a very nice person, and a good caregiver. Even though Ino didn't want to be taken care of, she really needed the help tonight. Hana had given her a bath, washing her skinny, exhausted body gently, getting the feel of the hospital from her. She asked about all of the bruises on her arms. Ino had become a human pin cushion over the past few years, to the point where Sakura had kept a saline lock in her arm so she could easily hook her back up to an IV. But even those veins blew sometimes, and she'd be onto the next stick.

Soon though, Ino was washed, dried, dressed, her wet hair was brushed and braided, and she was in bed with the Eye-Patched Dog as her pillow. But this time, the dog seemed much calmer. Ino wasn't well, but she had managed to survive once again.

But something else felt different tonight: it was as if her night at the hospital had shocked her brain into thinking more pleasant thoughts. Her mind didn't have its usual dark cloud over it. Actually, she felt a little giddy tonight. She could still feel the warmth of Shino's hand entwined with hers. She could feel the softness of his fingertips on her lips. The sweetness of the kashipan on her tongue...

***

"Hey, wake up."

Ino awoke in the hospital again, making her heart flutter. She hadn't gone back to the Inn! Shino was still lying beside her. He spoke to her gently.

"Hey, Temari brought us some more kashipan."

She tried to sit up, but he stopped her.

"Don't sit up; I'll take care of you."

She was still wearing his jacket; his face was smiling as he opened the white paper bag, taking the flaky, sweet pastry out. Her heart was racing as he tore a little piece off, just like the day before. Leaning forward, he placed it between her open lips. But this time, he let his fingertips brush the tip of her tongue. She closed her lips around his fingertips, kissing them gently before giving them back. He was blushing deeply as he watched her.

Tearing off another little bite, he did the same thing again. This time, she pushed the pastry into her cheek with her tongue and kept his fingers, sucking on them gently as she watched his face. He let out a little squeaky moan. When she released his fingers, he let them linger, touching her bottom lip tenderly before taking his hand back. She chewed the pastry slowly and thoughtfully.

"You're delicious, Shino."

He leaned forward and touched his lips against hers this time, making her moan. She hadn't been kissed in years, and his lips were soft and tasty. She cradled his head in her hand, leaning in further-

And then she woke up in the Inn room bed, still laying on the Eye-Patched Dog. Her heart was racing, though, as if she were still kissing him. She sighed, covering her face with her hands. Did the night in the hospital really mean that much? Was she that lonely?

Or did she really like him?

He was soft and comforting. Handsome. Tattooed. He smelled good. He was permeating her brain to the point that she was dreaming about him. Now she was sorry that she was so eager to leave the hospital.

"Ino? Are you okay?"

Oh, no. She had woken Hana up. Her new friend's voice came softly from the other bed.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Sorry to wake you."

Had she moaned out loud?

"Don't be sorry. Wake me up if you need me."

"Thanks."

But she didn't need Hana right now, she needed Shino.