Some Time Alone - Ino

When Ino arrived home, her heart sank to find an empty bed.

He had left.

She had yelled at him, and he left. He wasn't in the bathroom, the living room, or the kitchen. Walking outside, she walked around the back of the porch. There was someone out in the yard, looking closely at a tree trunk.

"Shino?"

The figure stopped.

"It's me."

And he continued whatever he was doing. She stepped out into the yard.

"What are you doing?"

"Looking for bugs."

"Are you out here because you're upset with me-"

"I'm out here because I didn't think you were coming home."

He didn't look at her. He was the upset one.

"Sorry, Shino. I shouldn't have snapped at you, especially after you took such good care of me. When you're ready to come in, I'll be waiting for you."

He ignored her, and that was okay. He was grieving, too, and he really hadn't had the chance to do that. She wasn't the only person who had lost people.  He needed support, too. She turned to leave and heard him speak softly.

"I'll be in soon. I just need some time alone."

"Okay."

She was glad that he was taking some time to himself. He needed it, running himself ragged taking care of her and everyone else.

Heading back in, she ran herself a warm bath. Everyone needed to be gentle with themselves tonight. She stepped in and sat in the circular tub, washing her short hair. Shino had cleaned up the feathers at some point, and she was grateful, not wanting to lay in feathers all night. Rinsing her hair, she ran the bar of soap over her skin. She was starting to feel tired and could only hope that Shino returned inside soon; she didn't know if she could sleep without him tonight.

Drying off, she brushed her teeth and brushed her wet hair out. While she was putting on her pajamas, she heard the door open. Watching him shuffle in, he laid down on the bed immediately, facing away from her in the dark. She sat on the other side of the bed, whispering.

"I'm sorry, Shino-kun. I didnt listen, and I would've saved myself a lot of tears if I had. Thank you for being so good to me, even when I don't deserve it."

She heard him sniffle.

"You always deserve it."

She touched his shoulder.

"I love you. And when you're ready, I'd like to see if I can heal your nose."

After a moment he sat up. She removed his hood and gasped. His face was bruised shades of purple; his nose was broken.

"Choji hit you full force. Bastard."

Ino spat the words, heartbroken that her teammate would hurt her lover. But she held back tears, putting her hands over his nose and emitting her healing chakra. She continued to growl.

"I'll fucking kill him-"

"Don't. It's okay."

She stopped long enough to situate Shino against the headboard on a stack of pillows. His head had to be pounding.

"What kinds of bugs were you looking for outside?"

She resituated, straddling his lap with her thighs as she continued to heal him.

"My brother's rinkaichu. When he died, his colony dispersed. And sometimes, I look for them, hoping to find one. They're a rare breed, and I'm always hopeful. But deep down, I know I'll never find one."

"Shino..."

He stared off over her shoulder.

"I miss him..."

"I know you do."

They sat quietly, her healing him. She had really acted poorly tonight; at a time she should've been gentler toward him as well.  After she was satisfied that he was on his way to healing, she packed his nose with gauze and pulled him into a hug.

"I love you, and I'm so sorry for everything that happened tonight."

"I love you, too.  I think I'm going to go to bed."

He said the words, but his voice was hollow.  She wanted to cry.

"Okay, anything I can do?"

"No, thank you.  Goodnight."

He crawled under the covers and faced away from her, pulling them up over his shoulder.  She was crushed.