Experience anything you need

Faye glanced back at the fading landscape of her hometown as the bus hummed along the highway. The familiar scenery now a blur outside the window, she focused on the excitement that accompanied her journey to Seattle. It felt like the beginning of the new decade seemed to align perfectly with what she was living,  the shifting times, promising opportunities and discoveries in an era of rapid evolution.

The cityscape emerged on the horizon, Seattle's towering buildings stretching skyward as she approached. Heart pounding with a mix of excitement and uncertainty, she stepped off the bus onto the busy streets. The urban energy wrapped around her, with her suitcase trailing behind, she navigated the crowd, the pulse of the city resonating with her own eagerness for new experiences. Seattle was a blank canvas waiting for her, a place where she could craft a new chapter in her life's story, at least that's what she expected.

Deciding to hail a cab to the campus, she acknowledged her status as a newcomer, unfamiliar with its layout and directions to navigate on her own. As the cab wound its way through the streets, she watched in awe the vibrant tapestry unfolding before her. The sounds of city life surrounded her, painting a vivid portrait of urban existence. Towering trees formed a verdant canopy, shading the pathways that crisscrossed the manicured lawns. Students bustled about, their chatter intermingling with the rustle of leaves, creating a vibrant scenario. She had arrived at the University of Washington.

The aura of prestige enveloped the university. The college dorm loomed ahead. Faye ascended the steps, entering the threshold that marked the beginning of her collegiate path. The dorm's corridors buzzed with excitement, and hers was another hustle adding to it. She registered at the front and in the papers she received it read the instructions to where she should go, room 122, along with detailed information about schedules, meal time and other rules. Sharing a room with a stranger was a new experience. As she turned the doorknob, the room lay empty, devoid of any signs of occupancy, the calm atmosphere inviting her to make it her own. Setting her belongings down, she paused, deciding it best to wait for her roommate before making any definitive choices about the sleeping arrangements. Settling in, she looked out the window at the breathtaking view of the campus. She was lost in it when her roommate entered the room. Her warm olive complexion caught Faye's attention before she could introduce herself.

"Hey, I'm Amy," she said, dropping her bags with a huff. "I've just moved here from Olympia."

"Nice to meet you, Amy. I'm Faye," she offered a smile. "Need a hand with those?" She asked while picking up one of the bags from the ground.

Amy chuckled, a hint of embarrassment coloring her cheeks. "Nah, I've got it. So which one is my bed?"

"Oh, I was waiting for you to decide first. I don't mind either way."

"You should grab the bed by the window. It 's got a view. Anyway, it seems like you've already fallen in love with it, the way you were looking out when I walked in." She gestured towards the bed and the vista beyond.

Faye hesitated, her expression revealing a slight reluctance to accept the offer right away. Amy noticed and spoke up, "Go ahead, take it. I don't like sleeping next to windows. I prefer a cozy corner." Her tone was reassuring.

Amy busied herself unpacking while engaging in conversation. "So, where're you from?" she asked.

"I'm from Newport," she responded, organizing her own belongings. "I'm here to study English. What about you?"

"I'm from Olympia, but I think I already told you that. Going for History," Amy replied, her excitement evident. "I'm thrilled to be here! Can't wait to explore Seattle, especially the nightlife. Heard it's fantastic!"

Faye smiled, sharing in her enthusiasm. "Yeah, there's so much to discover here". The two continued chatting amicably, exchanging their anticipation for what was about to start.

Amy's excitement was palpable as she invited Faye to a venue she had been longing to visit since her friends from Olympia moved to Seattle. "Hey, there's this place my friends from Olympia always talked about. I've been dying to go, and tonight's the night. You wanna join?"

She thought for a second, not accustomed to frequenting nightlife spots. However, considering they still had a few days before classes, she saw it as an opportunity to seize the moment before her schedule got busier. "Sure, why not?"

As the night neared, Amy tuned in the radio to KCMU, the local station known for its music curation, setting the mood for the night out. Faye glanced over her clothing options, noticing they might not match the desired vibe. Amy chimed in, "Hey, let's find you something cool. We might want to hit up a thrift store soon, though."

Recognizing her attire didn't quite fit the mood, Faye nodded and with Amy's guidance, who opted for an outfit that leaned closer to the look they sought. Dressing her with a leather jacket, she made sure Faye was set for the night ahead. They made their way to The Vogue, a renowned venue and where Mudhoney was set to perform that night. The atmosphere was electrifying and distinct from anything Faye had experienced back home. For Faye, the ambiance was an exhilarating departure from her usual environment. The air buzzed with excitement as it was filled with freshmen from the college. Amy effortlessly mingled with the crowd, and Faye trailed along. It was a flurry of new faces, new conversations, and an entirely new way of experiencing the night. Faye indulged in a drink. The accessibility of alcohol, cigarettes, and the open display of people smoking weed caught her off guard. She felt a bit overwhelmed by the openness of it all, a stark contrast to her previous experiences, yet simultaneously enthralling in its novelty.

"I've been following these new bands from Seattle, you know. It's amazing to finally see it here, where it all started," Amy exclaimed, as she sipped her drink. "I caught a few bands back in Olympia, but being here—it's just something else."

Faye nodded, acknowledging Amy's passion for the local music scene. "I'm not really familiar with all this," she admitted, "but I get why you're so excited. It's like finding something you've been looking for without even realizing it," she remarked, captivated by the energy of the place and the thrill of the new experience.

As they made their way back to the dorm, Faye felt a peculiar sense of disorientation, like a small boat navigating uncertain waters. The night's events had left her slightly tipsy, not solely due to drinking. "I don't know, Amy," she murmured.

Amy cast a glance her way, wearing a faint smile, though it appeared she couldn't entirely empathize, considering how naturally she'd adapted to the evening's atmosphere. "Feeling a bit like you're stepping into uncharted territory?" she asked, the streetlights casting a soft glow on her features.

Faye nodded, a sense of vulnerability seeping into her words. "Yeah, it's like diving into a world I've only seen in the movies. It's thrilling but a bit overwhelming too."

Amy chuckled softly. "That's the beauty of it, isn't it? The thrill of exploring something entirely new." She paused, looking at Faye intently. "Remember, it's okay to feel a little out of place. You'll find your rhythm soon enough."

"I guess you're right," she let out a sigh, "I just hope I can keep up."

"You will," the friend assured her, placing a comforting hand on Faye's shoulder. "The important thing is to try new things, take risks. That's what college is all about, right?"

Faye smiled, appreciating Amy's reassuring words. "Yeah, you're right. I'm excited to see how things will unfold once classes start."