✦𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝✦

ᴄʀᴇᴅɪᴛs ᴛᴏ: theyslaydemons

You thought you were seeing things the firs time you saw Muichiro pass by you in his corps uniform. You recognized your childhood friend instantly, you couldn't misplace that long hair anywhere. It broke your heart when he passed by you so casually without even a hello. It didn't take you long to figure out something had changed.

"Muichiro!!" You yelled and caught up with him.

"Hello, do you need something? Also please call me Tokito." He responded.

"Oh..." You knew something bad must have happened for him to have joined the demon slayer corps... and not seeing his brother with him was rare... you wondered if the same demon that past through your house and destroyed your family had done the same to his. After all your families didn't live that far away. Usually you would meet at the lake when the season was right for fishing.

It was hard to believe the Muichiro splashing around in the water with you and his brother catching fish was the same boy standing in front of you now.

"It's been so long, how have you been?" You managed to ask gathering your thoughts.

"We have met before? I don't remember..." He said and seemed to zone off.

"Umm... don't worry abut it." You said. It worried you seeing your friend disassociate like this. It was clear to you some awful trauma must have happened to him to have caused this... and not seeing his bother with him must mean... You decided not to finish that thought.

"Would you like to get food with me?" You offered, hoping to spend more time with your friend.

"No. I don't have time." He responded and turned to leave.

He was definitely not the same.

You tried again and again to offer to eat or train with Muichiro. His answer was always the same. No. He didn't have time. He didn't care to train with you... In fact his answers became shorter and meaner every time, but you never gave up on him. You hoped that maybe he would remember who you were if you stayed around.

All you wanted was some reembrace of your past life... those nice summer days when your families met at the river to fish and swim. Just the memory of being a kid with no knowledge of demons made your throat feel tight and eyes watery. You also didn't want to pressure him or make him feel awful for not remembering you though. You wondered how much he didn't remember. Did he not even know he had a twin? What did happen to Yuichiro....

Yuichiro was never your favorite but coming to terms with the likely fact hat he was dead brought tears to your eyes.

You managed to corner Muichiro one day at the swordsmith village when he happened to be getting a new sword the same time as you. You were both staying in the same building and were invited to eat in the common area by the swordsmith housing you.

"Muichiro! Hi! What are you doling here?” You asked cheerfully.

"Retrieving a new sword, and please call me Tokito." He responded and went back to eating.

"Ok ok Tokito." You said trying to laugh off his formalness. You went to eat and realized the fish they had cooked today was Muichiro's favorite fish to catch and eat when you were children. "Wow how lucky are you! It's your favorite!" You said without thinking.

"Hm?" Muichiro looked up at you with confused eyes. "How did you know that..." He said and zoned off again staring at you as if he was trying to hard to remember something.

"Oh you must have told me in passing sometime. Please don't worry too much about it ok." You said trying hard to bring your friend back. It pained you to see him dissociate so easily. Muichiro just started at you with wide eyes for a moment then stood up and started to leave.

"Ok bye!" You said jokily at his silent exit.

"Goodbye..." He turned around one last time before leaving "What was your name again..." He said but almost to him self and left.

You retrieved your sword the next day and headed back out on a mission. The news traveled fast to you of the demon attack on swordsmith village that happened the day after you left. You were sick to your stomach thinking of Muichiro but you knew you'd have to wait a few days before visiting him. Shinobu and Aoi were no joke about giving Hashiras space to heal.

In the meantime you tried to keep yourself busy with missions and tasks. You were in the middle of making yourself some dinner when you heard a knock at your door. You opened it and felt instantly paralyzed by the sight of Muichiro at your front door.

"What are you doing here Tokito?? You should be resting! Are you ok!??" You exclaimed looking at the bandages on his face. Muichiro swiftly wrapped his arms around you and brought you into a tight embrace.

"I remember. I remember everything. We grew up by the river together. We would meet in the summer's to fish and to swim. You played with me and Yuichiro... Then... I didn't see you for a long while... Then a demon came and attacked me and Yuichiro... and I'm so very regretful of how I have treated you recently..." He said into your shoulder as he kept you in a tight hug. You could hear tears in his voice and feel him shake as he spoke.

"Come in Tokito, we can talk more." You said squeezing him back wishing you could take away the pain he was reliving all over again. He finally released you from the hug and looked up at you.

"Please call me Muichiro." He said causing a smile to grow across your face. Muichiro took in your smile, a smile that he now remembered fondly. He couldn't wait to reminisce in the memories you two shared by the river, and hopefully make more memories in the time to come.