Chapter 146 - Confrontation in the Main Hall - Part 1

In the blink of an eye, it was the Empress Dowager's birthday.

The Emperor had issued an edict a few days ago, ordering officials of third rank and above, General's, Princes, Consorts, etc. to enter the palace along with their families. That night, all the invited people entered the palace early for the celebration. As soon as it got dark, people began to retire to their designated seats.

Li Wei Yang took in everything.

Everywhere in the palace was gorgeous, decorated with lanterns and candles.

Even the maids who shuttled between different seats to pour tea and hold fruit plates were all dressed in gorgeous colorful clothes.

After Li Wei Yang took her seat, she heard the sound of drums and instrumental music, and all kinds of delicacies and wines were served in abundance.

There was a trace of ridicule on Jiang Yuelan's calm face, while Sun Yanjun whispered: "It looks like the palace was not affected by the earthquake at all!"

Li Wei Yang took in the scene of singing and dancing with a sneer in her eyes. But she didn't say a word.

In the eyes of the superior ones, what does the suffering of the people mean? Since the granaries have been opened and people have been dispatched to provide disaster relief, the Emperor can naturally decide to celebrate the Empress Dowager's birthday with peace of mind.

Coupled with the fact that he had just forced back the 500,000-strong army in Mobei, the Emperor was probably in a very good mood at this time. Who dared to step forward and blame him for being too extravagant and wasteful at this time?

The Empress Dowager sat on a high seat looking down on everyone with a smile on her face.

The Emperor and Empress accompanied her on each side, while the favored Concubine Lian sat on the other side with a big belly. She looked rosy and slightly plump, but the pregnancy did not affect her beauty at all.

Li Wei Yang and Concubine Lian looked at each other and Wei Yang nodded slightly towards her. Concubine Lian felt relieved and accompanied the Emperor gently and meekly, looking like an ordinary concubine. However, her extraordinary beauty and bulging belly are destined to make her the focus of attention.

At this time, the Crown Prince stood up, first raised his glass to wish the Empress Dowager happiness, longevity and health, and then said: "This time Concubine Jiang has specially prepared a gift for Empress Dowager, please see it."

The Empress Dowager glanced at Concubine Jiang who was smiling dignified next to the Crown Prince

"Oh, I wonder what kind of gift it is?"

She smiled.

Li Wei Yang also smiled upon hearing this.

Everyone's gifts were usually sent to the palace in advance, but Concubine Jiang was so original.

Being so high profile was not in line with her usual pattern.

She lowered her head and hid the smile on her lips.

The Crown Prince clapped his hands, and then dozens of palace maids and eunuchs filing in, carrying hundreds of pots of peonies, which instantly attracted everyone in the hall to marvel. Those green leaves are green and fresh, which make the red, purple, and yellow peony petals even more delicate. Sitting far away, Li Wei Yang can smell the fragrance of the peonies. The fragrance was very intoxicating, almost making people drunk.

Everyone was amazed for a moment, and even the Ninth Princess exclaimed: "These hundreds of pots of peonies contain almost all varieties of peonies. Some of the rare varieties are not even comparable to the peonies in the imperial garden! So many peonies have been collected. It must have taken a lot of effort to transport it to the capital!"