Chapter 163 - Death In The Night - Part 2

When Li Wei Yang heard this, she suddenly laughed: "Consort Lian, do you want to imitate Empress Dowager Zhang?"

Empress Dowager Zhang was the concubine of Emperor Qing, the third emperor of the previous dynasty. After the death of Emperor Qing, Empress Dowager Zhang's three-year-old son He Di came to the throne. Because he was too young, the affairs of the government were entirely in the hands of Empress Dowager Zhang. In the history books Li Wei Yang had read, Empress Dowager Zhang was described as a narrow-minded, selfish and mean woman who was bent on usurping the throne. In order to monopolize power, she didn't hesitate to slaughter dozens of noble families and thousands of people who were suspected of rebellion. However, in Li Wei Yang's view, Empress Dowager Zhang was smart, decisive, cautious, and adept at political maneuvering. She always used a heavy hand and heavy punishment to control the ministers, forcing them to demonstrate deep loyalty to her in order to avoid being persecuted.

It is precisely because this woman is so powerful that when He Di grew up, he was tossed between his paternal and maternal relatives and he suffered endlessly because of their fighting. After he took the throne, he wanted to changes things, dismissing many people who were favored by Empress Dowager Zhang and tried to re-appoint and promote some people who were dissatisfied with the Empress Dowager to become his confidants. At first, Empress Dowager Zhang felt unhappy with what Emperor He did, but after all, Emperor He was her biological son, so she didn't act immediately. However, after Emperor He killed one of the Empress Dowager's brothers, Empress Dowager Zhang finally decided to punish this disobedient son. She invited Emperor He to a banquet and when he arrived at the palace of the Empress Dowager, he was ambushed and captured, and was forcibly placed under house arrest. After that, Empress Dowager Zhang ruled on behalf of the emperor for twenty years, and for a time she had complete power over the imperial court and the opposition.

Consort Lian heard the words "Empress Dowager Zhang", and a glimmer of light flashed in her eyes, as if her thoughts had been seen through, and there was a hint of embaressment on her face: "You--" She paused for a moment, thinking that lying in front of Li Weiyang was useless, so she whispered, "That's right. And if you support me, I can also help you, no?"

Li Wei Yang said leisurely: "It is not impossible to assist the little prince to ascend the throne, but there is only one way."

Consort Lian seemed to have suddenly lost her goal since her revenge was completed, but when she looked the little prince later, she suddenly had an idea. If her son could take the throne, wouldn't she also be able to control the power of Dali? When the time comes, she can re-establish tombstones for her royal father, mother, and relatives, restore her family's name, and return to her true identity as Murong Xin. This is simply the best thing!

Furthermore, she is now at the height of her power, The Emperor is in decline, the Crown Prince has been deposed, and the two brothers Tuoba Zhen and Tuoba Yu are fighting to the death. Although the situation is chaotic, as long as she seized the opportunity, there is hope. Of course, she understood her own limits. Trying to snatch the throne from the two adult princes was tantamount to snatching food from a tiger's mouth. The only way is to wait until they fight to the death and find a way to profit from it... But the premise is that she must get Li Wei Yang's support. Hearing Li Wei Yang's words, she was filled with joy, and said: "What is it? If it succeeds, I can promise you everything you want!"

She was so impatient that she seemed completely different from the cautious Consort Lian in the past. Li Wei Yang smiled and looked at her, her voice soft and without any emotion: "If you die."

Those three words caught her off guard made Consort Lian calm down as quickly as if a basin of cold water being had poured on her. Her heart was shocked. She opened her mouth but was unable to utter a single word. After a long time, she forced out a sound and calmly said, "If you don't want to help me, forget it. Why would you say such a thing!"