Chapter 24: Annoying Parents

Jay's POV

I awoke to sensei Wu yelling, "Evil doesn't sleep and neither should you!" while banging pots. I groaned. Why couldn't we sleep for five more minutes? Was that to much to ask?

"In order to reach your full potential we must greet each day as an opportunity."

"Okay, okay, we're up," Kai said as he got out of bed, "But if you want us to reach our full potential shouldn't we at least get a full night of rest?"

"You call that rest? I think my back has more lumps than the mattress," Cole said.

I walked up to the sink to brush my teeth.

"We were up so late, talking about how cool it is to have a new headquarters I guess we lost track of time," I said as I put some water on my tooth brush, "Since the serpentine burned down the monastery I'm just glad we have a roof over our heads."

I realized that sand had came out of the faucet instead of water. I began spitting it out.

"What is our lesson today, sensei? Mastering the strike of the scorpion? Or perhaps the grace of a-," Zane said before the floor under him broke.

"I think today's lesson will be chores," sensei Wu said.

"Chores?" we all asked at the same time. I hated chores. They're so boring.

"Ninja fight, sensei. They do not clean," Cole said.

"In order to respect ourselves we must respect our new home and where we are from. And this place is a long way from becoming a ninja headquarters. I expect things to be spotless when I return. And put your backs into it," sensei Wu said before leaving.

We all stared in shock, and Cole helped Zane out from the hole in the floor.

"Ugh! This place is going to take forever to clean and fix up," Kai said.

I got an idea.

"Unless we put more than our backs into it, huh?" I said, smiling mischievously.

We fixed and cleaned The Bounty, using our golden weapons and spinjitzu. Afterwards we celebrated by playing videogames.

I heard Wu walk in.

"What took you so long?" Kai asked.

"Wow! This place looks amazing! You guys did all this?" Nya asked in shock.

I felt extreme joy. Nya liked what I did!

"Ninja don't just fight, Nya. We clean," Cole said.

I wanted to tell her that the reason we'd gotten it done so fast was because I'd had the idea to use our golden weapons. But I didn't because everyone would get mad at me for taking the credit.

"Oh! You have exceeded my expectations. But can you keep it up?" Wu said, stroking his beard.

"It looks like we're about to have some visitors. And loud ones at that," Nya said. I groaned.

"It's my parents. Please, if they start yapping just don't get them going, okay? They don't know when to quit. And if you start talking then they'll start talking, and suddenly half the day is gone before you know it, and it's not even-" I said, but then Kai rudely interrupted me.

"We get it. They talk a lot," Kai said.

"The cherry doesn't fall far from it's blossom," he mumbled quietly, so I wouldn't hear. But I heard.

I walked out to welcome my parents.

"Mom, Dad! What are you doing here?"

"Oh! Look it's my baby boy! It's been so long since we heard from you," mom said.

"Ma, I called you two days ago."

"Well, it's not soon enough, son. When are you coming out to the junkyard? You say you're coming, and then you don't," dad said.

"Dad, do we have to talk about the junkyard in front of my friends?" I asked. I'd managed to hide the fact that I was born and raised in a junkyard from my friends, and I didn't want them finding out. It was really embarrassing and had lost me quite a bit of friends over the years. Although my parents said that real friends wouldn't care if I was born in a junkyard or not, I still didn't want them knowing.

"He hates it when we tell people he was born in a junkyard," mom said. I sighed. Looks like the cat's out of the bag.

"Oh! And who are you?" mom said walking toward Nya, "You are so cute. You're just my son's type."

"Mom!" I said, trying to get her to stop. I didn't want anyone knowing about my crush on Nya.

"It's a pleasure meeting you. I'm sure if you want Jay can give you the tour. He worked very hard on it," Nya said.

"We'd love a tour!" both of my parents said at the same time.

I sighed. This was going to be a long day.

I showed them around, and they told every embarrassing story about me they could think of.

"And this is the bridge," I said as I walked into the bridge," This extends into a periscope," I showed them, "This tells us what's going on in Ninjago. And this...." I pointed to the coffee machine, "If a serpentine's not giving us the answers we want, and we're up late at night-"

"A neuro apparatus to read their minds?" mom asked.

"An audio appliance to make them talk?" dad asked.

"No, a cappuccino machine," I said as I made a cappuccino.

"Ha-ha! Amazing, son! We're so proud of you!" dad said.

"Why don't you tell them about the button?" Cole asked.

"It's not ready yet," I said in an angry tone.

"Ooh! What's the button?" mom asked.

"He's working on a special defense system," Zane said.

"Something every ninja headquarters needs," Kai added.

"Oh, really? What does it do? Can I help?" dad asked.

"No, it's okay. I don't need your help, dad. Let's just leave it alone," I said, stopping dad from messing with it.

"Hey! Look at the time. Don't you need to get back before it gets dark? I told you there's dangerous serpentine out there," I said, leading my parents out.

"I suppose we could get back," dad said.

"Edna, it was a pleasure hearing about Jay's first potty time," Cole said. It wasn't a pleasure for me.

"Oh, if you thought that was good wait until you hear the story about the time I caught him kissing his pillow," mom said. I silently begged she wouldn't tell them that story next time.

"Ugh. Snakes, ma, snakes!" I said, pushing her away.

"Okay! We're going. We're going." My parents finally headed to their car.

"So you promise to come to the junkyard and visit your mother and father?" mom asked.

"Yes! I promise, but only if you leave! I don't want you to get hurt. It's getting dark." I said happy they were leaving while at the same time realizing just how much danger they could be in.

"Uh, your headlights are working? Right?" They turned on their headlights, and it almost blinded me.

"Like them? I used a little extra juice," dad said.

"Bye, son! I couldn't be more proud!" dad yelled as he left.

"And bring Nya with you. Will ya? I can see why you like her," mom added.

"Mom!"

"Now that they have left perhaps Jay can teach us the art of kissing pillows," sensei Wu said before laughing.

"Ugh!" I yelled as I ran inside. I didn't want to listen to them laugh at me.