02

Aycie locke

"Oh I'm 18, my names Niall" he smiles turning his head to look at me, I feel nervous with him looking at me. I know I can't meet his gaze back, I just can't do eye contact, but I really want to just look at him right now so I can see if there's some kind of malicious intent hiding in his eyes.

"Aycie" I whisper one word nervously kicking my legs back and forth against the concrete under the bench, I dread to think how completely terrified I look right now.

"I've never heard that name before, I like it."

"thank you for saving me from that man" I speak up again, this being the longest sentence I've said yet. I owed this man my life, for all I know I could have been killed if he didn't find us.

"Don't worry about it, I'm happy to beat the shit out of people like that every day of the week, if anything I'm sorry you had to have that happen to you" he shakes his head scoffing at the mere memory of the man he beat.

"But still if it wasn't for you he could of done anything to me" I reassure him finally looking over to see his side profile, knowing he wasn't looking at me I looked to see his eyes, I was surprised to see bright blue irises darting around as he tried to find the beer can he put down, finding it within seconds. His eyes looked friendly and inviting, I don't think he'll hurt me.

"What were you doing in the alleys so late at night?" He asks me a reasonable question.

"It's a long story, I didn't want to be there though" I shake my head knowing I'd have to go through the last few hours to explain why I had no other choice but to take myself through the most dangerous place I could

"And I've got a lot of time on my hands so please, entertain me" he laughs jokingly, crossing his legs over and shifting around like he was getting comfortable, making me crack a minuscule smile out of humour, he turns to look at me seeing the smile suddenly appear after having panic painted on my face the last 10 minutes.

"I knew you had a smile in there somewhere" he smiles widely, me now blushing nervously. I could feel it, so I wasn't slow to put my head down to hide it again.

"I guess I can tell you but is it okay if I ring my mum first to tell her my whereabouts?"

"Of course go ahead" he nods turning back around and going back for his skittles and beer.

I take the phone out of the front of my bag and unlock it to ring my mum, there's still not even a message from her, it's 10:30pm, she has to be home now.

She'll kill me, I haven't made dinner for her. She always expects dinner from me, the house clean.

She'll literally kill me.

The phone rings about 10 times before it's answered, the first thing I hear is a sigh of exhaustion, not new at all.

"Aycie what do you want, you woke me up!" She shouts frustrated, the tone of her voice made me feel like a nuisance, how did she not even realise I wasn't in the house if she's home and sleeping already.

"Sorry I butt-dialled you, it won't happen again, you can go back to sleep" I murmur quietly, not intending to let her know where I am. She sighs once more before hanging up, making me feel a bit sad reminding me of my reality again, right now all I'd like to do is run to her and tell her what happened so she can fix it for me and make me feel better, but it's never been like that for us, she doesn't even know what my favourite drink is like camille does. I hate that it makes me sad.

"Didn't go to plan?" Niall speaks up into the silence again noticing my shift in mood.

"You could say that yeah" I lean back into the bench, all my worries about getting home disappearing as I don't have anyone who wants me there