chapter 40

CLASS TRIAL: RESUME

CLASS TRIAL: RESUME

I fumbled with my checkered gloves as soon as I knew the cameras were rolling once more, smiling cheerfully.

Kaito held up a hand, squeezing his eyes shut. "More importantly... let's continue the conversation where we left off."

"We understand Miu plotted the murder, but we need to find out who killed her. Right, [y/n]?" Maki turned towards me blankly, as I flinched back.

I laughed hesitantly, waving my hand in the air. I prepared to pull some out random lie to save my own skin. "Aww, seriously? I guess that makes sense. So, I guess I'll explain to you why-"

"In order to figure that out, we need to understand Miu's actions!" Kokichi interrupted me loudly, moving all eyes onto him. "So, let's discuss her murder scheme step-by-step!"

Both Maki and my eyes narrowed, but neither of us said anything.

I guess everything looking at me would be a hinderance in our path to finding out who the culprit was. Thanks for the save.

"I know that's important, but hearing you lead the conversation really pisses me off." Kaito commented spitefully, clearing his throat.

Kokichi ignored him as he further escalated the conversation. "Let's see, Miu manipulated the Virtual World to use it as a part of her murder plan..."

"Don't just ignore me and start anyway..." Kaito complained, scoffing.

"Miu had complete and total control!" I cheered over him, my eyes lighting up. "Which is like, the complete opposite of who she is in bed. Anyways, where were we? If it worked, we would've zapped through the wall between the chapel and mansion, and..."

"...WHAM! Murdered me on the roof with the hammer." Kokichi finished, his expression slightly brightening as he looked at me. I faked a cough as an excuse to force myself to look away. Unfortunately, I can't look away from my brain, as hypothetical questions began to fill my mind.

What if he did die on that roof, though?

I swallowed, pinching the bridge of my nose tiredly. I don't want to think about that. Doesn't matter what I want to think about and what I don't, though. Man, it reminds me of this one time I was... I think nine? I couldn't sleep the entire night because by brain wouldn't shut up.

My parents wouldn't, either. That's not the point, though. Hey, look at that, I completely forgot about the make-believe scenario- aww, shit.

. . .

Miu signaled for me to follow. We went up the stairs, and Miu walked onto the rooftop.

But I didn't.

Kokichi was there. I almost shut the door, leaving a small crack to hear what they were saying.