chapter 41

Wowzers! It was Gonta, like we've been saying for the entire trial! What a surprise, am I right or am I right?

Monokuma grinned, holding his stomach cheerily. "Well, look at that! You voted correctly! Congratulations, you guys! Give yourselves a hand! Let me hear your joyful voices!"

Tsumugi burst out into tears, and an awkward silence overtook the courtroom. I saw a few people glance at Kokichi and I, but neither of us did anything.

"..." I blinked, looking away as I mentally prepared myself for the exhausting barrage of questions, tears, and sweet nothings and reassurances. Been here for a while, I'm tired as crap, and god, I don't even know why I feel kinda stressed and irritable right now. 

Was it because I didn't get enough sleep last night? Haha, good one.

"I said, let me hear your joyful voices!" Monokuma repeated, trying to hype up the crowd.

"...Yippee. I- I... hope... I hope you- you get cursed..." Himiko mumbled dryly, holding her hat over her eyes as they dripped tears.

I buried my head in my hands, took a deep breath, and cheered. Except it sounded way more deflated than I thought, so I just pretended I was being sarcastic. "Woohoo...! Uh- okay, all better. Can we just get to the execution already?"

Don't worry, dear reader! I still look happy. It's not like I'm on the verge of bawling my eyes out or anything... nothing too intense, the edges of my lips are still slightly pointed up.

"Dammit... why!?" Kaito snapped.

"Geez, they're all just moping around! They should be happy for themselves!"

"...What's the point of being happy in this cruel world?" Monophanie spoke up, sniffing as Monodam shuffled away uncomfortably.

Monokuma ignored his kids, turning his attention to Kokichi. "Hey, Kokichi... You said this would liven things up. What gives, huh? And I said I'd put the motive- the secret of the outside world- into the killing game simulator."

"Ah-haha, that was juuust a lie." Kokichi placed his arms behind his head nonchalantly.

Oh.

I should probably start mentally kicking myself for falling for it, but I'm not even surprised at this point... Well, it did make the killing game interesting- Miu dies due to the influence of Kokichi on Gonta, who used the secret of the outside world as a motive...

...I prefer this over the alternate universe.

"Oh, so it was just a lie." Mononkuma laughed, not at all enraged. Probably because I made the decision for him, so...

"He just laughed it off!?" Himiko yelped in disbelief, shuffling closer to Shuichi. I sighed, standing alone with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Are you satisfied, Kokichi? I want you to tell us. What is the "outside world"? Is it the motive you gave Gonta?" Shuichi asked for confirmation, advancing on the liar. He then turned towards me apprehensively, avoiding my gaze. "...Do you know anything about this, [y/n]?