chapter 32

Isabella 

although today has been a fun day, my mind kept on trailing back to the gunshots, I know I wasn't hearing things, and I really don't understand why I started crying when Silas was asking about the whole incident thing... I don't even know, is this what going through puberty is like? mood swings and just body aching everywhere. 

I was completely mortified when I felt that my swim top fell off and thankfully I was with Alaric so nobody was flashed but thank goodness Silas came to our rescue.

now later into the night, I am now skimming through the bookshelf for a bedtime story, I decided to settle on the little mermaid. 

I turn and saw Papa already settled into his bed, I skipped back to his bed and crawled onto his bed while placing the storybook into his hands. 

"the little mermaid?" he says as he readjusts himself now that I am laying beside him as he opens the storybook. 

throughout the reading I begin to nod off when suddenly he's needed back into his office and I was sad at the loss of body heat. 

"Ahh, sorry babygirl I need to take this urgently" he tells me as he helps himself off the bed, before placing a kiss to my forehead. 

"Okay.." I tell him and he doesn't say anything else as he walks away with one of the security guards. 

Pondering, I began to look around his room, still sitting on his bed, then I start to notice something shiny from my peripheral vision. Curious I got up from the bed and made my way towards the shiny object, and when I came upon the object I noticed it was a photograph of my brothers and this unknown man who I can only assume is our father. 

Upon looking at the newfound picture I felt different, I've never known the face of the man who fathered me and to even realize that my brothers had lived their whole life without me and I am only just a fragment of it, while they are my whole world. It's kind of difficult to think about that, like they had a father growing up and when I suddenly came along he vanished, and I couldn't help but feel like it was my fault that their perfect little family was torn apart. 

A pang of hurt starts at my chest as I gaze upon the photograph, my brothers must have been around 10 and 14 years old. 

I saw that the photograph can be taken out of the picture frame so I carefully slid the picture out, but as I did that there was folded note that came out of it. 

This caught my attention so when I picked up the folded note from the floor, I unfolded it and something else fell out but before I would pick that up I decided to read the note: 

[𝐼 𝓇𝑒𝓂𝑒𝓂𝒷𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝒶𝓎, 𝐼 𝒶𝓈𝓀𝑒𝒹 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊'𝒹 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒷𝒾𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒹𝒶𝓎 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝓆𝓊𝒾𝒸𝓀 𝓉𝑜 𝓇𝑒𝓈𝓅𝑜𝓃𝒹 '𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 𝓈𝒾𝓈𝓉𝑒𝓇' 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓈𝑜 𝐼 𝒹𝑒𝒸𝒾𝒹𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝑜 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓌𝒾𝓈𝒽 𝑜𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓇𝑒𝒸𝑒𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝒾𝒻𝓉 𝑜𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝟣𝟧𝓉𝒽 𝑜𝒻 𝒜𝓊𝑔𝓊𝓈𝓉, 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒹𝒶𝒹.]

I was speechless, I didn't know what to say and I quickly picked up the stuff that fell to the floor and it was a baby picture of me swaddled in my purple baby blanket. Then I decided to turn the photo around and see if there was any note left behind it and all it wrote was: 

[ɪ ᴘʀᴏᴍɪꜱᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇꜱᴛ ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʀᴏᴛᴇᴄᴛ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴍʏ ᴘʀɪɴᴄᴇꜱꜱ.]

I covered my mouth with one of my hand as the other was holding onto the pictures and notes, I was that important to them I always thought that they would blame my birth for breaking up their family.