chapter 44

Side note: try to read while listening to "In This Shirt" by The Irrepressibles

Isabella 

I stared at the puddle of water beneath my feet since the rain cleared up a bit. It's been 3 months since we discharged Alaric, I had thought he'd be coming back home with us, but that wasn't the case. I remember the plane ride back home after that short stay was rather gloomy. 

"Papa.. why doesn't Ric come back home with us?" I thought he was better right? 

"The doctors want him to remain so they can monitor the new organ" Papa responds, which made sense back then, but after 3 months had passed and no news from Alaric, I began to feel a bit discontent. 

I found a twig nearby I twirled it into the puddle of water, watching as my reflection wavered. 

Why does it feel like I lost someone just because Ric wouldn't come home with us... I wanted some alone time for my thoughts, so Papa allowed me outside since the winter season was over and spring blooms today. 

I guess it didn't hit me yet, that maybe Alaric could find a secret lover that he doesn't want us to know, after all - when the series officially released, we saw the costar with him, and she's gorgeous, so the thought crossed my mind. I get it, we all will live separate lives because it's how life works. As much as I want the eternity of my little family to remain, the universe wasn't so generous. 

"Princess, it's time to head back in it's getting late" I hear Papa's voice emitting from above me as I look up at his tall frame, still crouching near the puddle of water. 

"Okay... have you heard anything from Alaric?" it seemed like I became a broken record by asking the same question every chance I got, so I got up from crouching and stood before Papa. 

As usual, Papa's face was unreadable as his reply was the same, "No, baby, I haven't but I promise when I do you'll be the first to hear" I smiled contently, but I would get discouraged with each passing day. 

I headed back into the estate with Papa holding my hands, and I could smell the aroma of my favorite meal. 

"Papa, do I have to go to school tomorrow?" I was in agony, more like I needed a mental break, I sat in my normal seat in the dining hall and my eyes trailed to the empty seat that belonged to Alaric. 

"Yes, princess... education is important it's a must" Papa retorts as he finishes his meal, "I wish we could go back to the old times of just us three" I sighed, it was different seeing Alaric's seat empty, almost as if he's gone. 

"I know, sweetheart. But, the universe has many things planned for us" and the dinner went on, everything felt monotonous, almost back to when Papa was very sick. 

Yet somehow this one is hitting more... isn't it weird that I feel such a heavy detachment from Alaric ever since he stayed behind. 

~

Soon the school year was over and I was going into Year 11, and my birthday was celebrated with a grand party as usual, except I felt the absence of Alaric.

When I stood at the top of the staircase and I see numerous faces awaiting my presence, I scanned the room to see if maybe for my birthday present Alaric would show himself. 

But nothing, so when the banquet continued, I needed fresh air so I took a step outside into the garden then I heard a familiar voice. 

"Did you think I'd forget your sweet 16?" I turned and saw it was none other than Alaric.