Chapter 21

That weekend John comes around to take us to the café. Alex receives him at the door while Catherine helps me get ready. I've dressed up casually in a simple loose blouse and jeans but according to my cousin, I must do something with my hair other than brushing it.

"Come on!" she insists while braiding it, "it's nice to put in a little effort you know."

"Me showing up is enough effort."

"Careful, you'll end up sounding like an introvert." She finishes one braid and moves on to the next. "Plus weren't you the one who arranged it?"

"Mmm the extrovert in me is dead," I say bluntly, "or on a very prolonged holiday. So long I think she's forgotten to come back."

"Then give her a call and make her come back or revive her or whatever. Now that your hermit phase is over, I expect you to dress up and everything like you used to."

"Hermit phase?" My lips tug amusedly, not offended that she's making light of the situation. If we're joking about it, that means it's beginning to hurt less which means I'm slowly healing and they're all realising that too. "Is that what we're calling it now?"

"Yes. Unless you want to call it 'hiding from my feelings era' or 'want the ground to swallow me era' but that makes it sound taboo and depressing right? Hermit phase is lighter." She shrugs then taps both my shoulders to let me know she's done with my hair.

I study my reflection for a moment, noticing that I don't look as thin as I used to and the colour has returned to my cheeks. Reaching for a subtle red lip gloss, I apply it then put a floral clip in my hair. Finally a bracelet and then I'm ready to go. "How do I look?"

"Great," she beams at me and pretends to raise a glass. "Here's to a happier you."

"To a happier me." We clink our imaginary glasses and then I grab my bag and head downstairs. John is animatedly talking to Alex and Jacob, who are listening intently to whatever story he's telling. "Shall we go?" I ask when he's finished.

Alex runs up to me excitedly. "Do I get to be your wingman today?"

"Wingman?" Jacob perks up. "So you do have a crush! I knew it!"

"I don't!" I look at John and gesture to the front door, silently asking if we can leave.

He smirks but nods, deciding to save teasing me for later. "Time to go. Jacob I promise to return your cousins in one piece."

"You better if you don't want me coming after you. Oh and Sam? I expect you to spill all the tea when you get back."

"Sure whatever." I nod dismissively and drag my brothers out the house before the teasing escalates.

****

"Sam my love! You're here!" Elliott yells as we enter the café, attracting the attention of the other customers and staff, who look our way with a mix of amusement and confusion. It's a different café to my usual one, bigger with booths and a lunchtime menu instead of just cakes and desserts.

Sighing, I try not to glare at him as we reach the booth. It's like he knows I get teased and wants to fuel it more. "Yes, indeed I am."

"So you must be Elliott," Alex says to him.

"Yeah and you're Alex."

We all sit down, Alex pushing me to sit beside Elliott before I can join him and John on the seats opposite. I give him a look but he just shrugs and winks.

"Are Eli and Rei on their way?" John asks Elliot, noticing my frustration towards Alex and diverting the topic before it escalates.

"Yeah, they should be here soon."