Chapter 22

Another week passes and I'm walking with Reina to the cafeteria to have lunch. As we enter, the sounds of chattering and laughing fill our ears, the tables seating groups of friends and the lunch line as busy as ever. As we reach the table the boys are at, it's clear that something is going on. John is sitting quietly watching as Elijah and Elliott are what appears to be serenading each other. Suddenly Elijah stands, holding his hand out to Elliott as he sings passionately.

"That it's the start of something new..."

Elliott takes his hand and lets himself be pulled out of his seat. "It feels so right to be here with you, ohhhhh!"

"And now looking in your eyes..."

"I feel in my heart," he drags it out just like they do in the movie, "the start of something new..."

"The start of something new..." Elijah echoes, looking into his friend's eyes softly.

"The start of something new." Elliott grins, mirroring his look.

"And in this moment," I narrate to announce our presence, "neither one knew that this was just the start of something new for them, that this was the first of many moments and they'd fall for each other one day."

"But what if I want those moments with you instead?" Elliott turns to me, wearing his signature flirtatious smile.

"Ouch," Elijah pretends to be hurt as he returns to his seat beside John. "I really thought we could have something here."

"Maybe in another lifetime Eli," he dismisses him. "Sam, what do you say? Want to take a chance with me?"

"Uh..." I'm not sure how to respond. He's asking me so casually, as if his very words aren't making my heart race and butterflies swarm in my stomach. I'm supposed to be getting annoyed. I'm supposed to glare at him and turn him down. When did his flirting start having an effect on me?

Reina, noticing how flustered I'm becoming, steps in and signs something to him. He looks at her in mock hurt, putting a hand to his chest, and returns to his seat.

"What did you say?" I ask her as we sit down. She smirks and pulls out her phone to type it out for me, but John answers for her.

"She said that only a slug would take a chance with him." He gives Elliott a glance and his lips tug upwards in amusement. "I'm afraid I have to agree."

"John," Elliott gasps at him, looking close to tears. "How can you say that? I truly believed you love me but I guess I was wrong."

"Wait," Elijah cuts in. "Does that mean I'm a slug?"

"Yes," John answers sombrely. "Unfortunately you are."

"If it's any consolation," Elliott says, his smile erasing all his previous hurt, "you're the best looking slug I've ever seen."

"Thanks. I feel so loved," he replies dryly.

Lunch continues this way, with all of them bickering and talking away. I've gotten used to it by now and even look forwards to it sometimes. It's been a long time since I've had a friend group whose company I genuinely enjoyed and interactions with whom actually felt real. My old friends were fine but I never truly clicked with them and now I look back, I realise I was never wholly my real self with them. It always felt like we were friends out of convenience because we were in the same classes and knew the same people, but while they were all close to each other, I was merely a spectator on the sidelines. Maybe it was due to me not always being there as I hung out with John frequently but still. It's not like John was a stranger to them; we were all classmates after all. Anyways, whatever it was, it's in the past now so no need for me to dwell on it.

"Sam," John calls me.

"Huh?" I look around and notice they're all getting up to leave.

"Time to go." He looks at me with fond amusement.

I grab my bag and join them as we leave the cafeteria. Elijah and Reina have more classes to attend so we bid them farewell and head out of the building. We go to the park and stop by the bench overlooking the lake and the large tree across it. Last time I was here, John and I finally talked everything out. The time before that, Alex and I fought. I wonder if something significant will happen this time.

"This is where we first met," Elliott says to John, breaking the silence. "On a quiet October evening just over a year ago."

"I came here to be alone for a while, only for you to be here. It would've been rude to ask you to leave so I just sat beside you instead."

"The silence was so comfortable. I just knew I had to befriend you." There's a soft look in his eyes but it's different from the one he gives me. It reminds me of the way John looks at me sometimes, the one he gave me when we started speaking again and every time he reassured me he's here to stay.

John chuckles lightly and I notice his eyes have become glassy. October just over a year ago...that would've been around the time of his sixteenth birthday. I didn't wish him anything or even bother to pay him a visit. Then I did the same last October on his seventeenth birthday. Guilt eats away at me. I was so horrible to him. It doesn't matter if he's forgiven me; part of me will always feel bad. Suddenly, I feel like I shouldn't be here. I don't deserve to be here.

Just as I'm about to leave, John reaches for my hand. "Whatever you're thinking right now, stop it."