Chapter 35

We take John home first then Elliott offers to walk me home, and even though I know his house is in the opposite direction, I don't refuse. After today's events, no way he'd take no for an answer. We walk in a comfortable silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts. As my house comes into view, his fingers brush against mine and he pulls me closer to his side.

"Is this your first time bringing a boy home?" he asks casually.

"Yup," I reply casually but my heart begins to race as my nerves increase.

"Is there anything I need to know beforehand?"

"Mmm nope. There's no strict father to impress or an over inquisitive mother." He squeezes my hand as I say that, bringing a smile to my face. "But there's a little brother, two cousins and an aunt and uncle...all of whom are already convinced you're my boyfriend. Thanks to Alex they all love you so just be yourself."

"What did Alex say?" he sounds amused.

"Too many exaggerated good things."

"Exaggerated? You don't think I'm that amazing?"

"Nope." We reach the front door and I take a few deep breaths to calm myself down. There's no need to be nervous; Alex and Catherine already know Elliott so it's not like he's someone completely random. I fish my key out of my bag and unlock the door, opening it slowly to give myself a bit more time.

"Sam!" Alex comes running down the stairs but stops as soon as he sees Elliott. "Ellie!" He throws himself at him, hugging the older boy tightly. "Sam never said she's bringing you around. If she did, I wouldn't still be in my pyjamas."

Elliott chuckles and steps back, examining Alex's dark blue pyjama suit with a teddy bear print. "You look nice."

"So do you but save the compliments for my sister okay?" With a wink, he runs off, probably in search of Jacob.

"I guess it's time to introduce you to my aunt and uncle."

"Right." He nods, seeming a little nervous.

"It's only my mum's older sister, nothing to be scared of."

"That's worse! I have three older sisters. Do you know how scary they can be?"

"You'll be fine." I take his hand. "We have a rule in this house. If Alex approves, we approve. If Alex loves it, we love it. Alex loves you so we love you. Simple."

"Lead the way."

We go to the living room, where my aunt, uncle and Catherine are playing a very heated game of Scrabble. They're all sitting around the board on the carpet, the coffee table pushed towards a wall to create more space.

"That doesn't count, Dad. You can't use a contraction."

"Oh let it slide just this once. I don't have other letters."

"But that's not fair! I'm wracking my brains here and you're cheating." She folds her arms with a huff then notices us both standing there. "Oh hey Sam. Hey Elliott."

That's when Aunt Kathleen and Uncle Michael turn to us, an excited grin forming on the former's face and a curious frown on the latter. Elliott shifts closer to me, not looking at anyone. I've never seen him act this shyly before. Clearing my throat, I draw their attention towards me. "Auntie, Uncle, this is my friend Elliott. We were out and he offered to walk me home."

"Oh that's sweet of you," Auntie says to him, pushing herself up from the floor to greet him properly. "I'm Kathleen. I hope Sam's not been too much trouble."

"Not at all. It's nice to meet you." he replies politely.

"Will you be staying for dinner?"

"I don't want to trouble you."

Auntie scoffs amusedly. "Nonsense! It's no trouble at all. I'm making lasagne. You must try it."

"Umm..." he looks at me for help, shrinking back a little further.

"Yep he'll stay for dinner," I answer for him. "We'll be upstairs. I need to show him something for the History assignment."

"You're in the same class?" Auntie sounds a little too eager.

"No but we're learning the same content. See you later." I lead him out of the room before Auntie can think of more questions, hoping they'll simply return to their game of Scrabble. In my room, he collapses on my bed while I close the door.

"How did you know which bed is mine?" I ask, joining him and hugging a cushion.

"This one felt like you and that one," he points to Catherine's bed, "seems more like Cath."

"Mmm," I yawn, feeling sleepy all of a sudden. "Well that went better than I expected."

"Your aunt's a bit..." he trails off and shakes his head.

"She's a little excited." I shrug. "I mean I became shut off after everything and now that I'm opening up again...it's understandable."

"I guess so."

My eyes start feeling heavy so without overthinking it too much, I shift closer to Elliott and rest my head on his shoulder. He stiffens for a moment then relaxes and puts his arm around me, holding me closer. "Ellie..."

"Hmm?" I don't know if it's my sleepiness but his voice soothes me as if I were going to bed with fresh bedsheets and fluffy pillows after a bath.

"You smell like hot chocolate."

"What?" he sounds amused but slowly rubs his hand up and down my arm.

"You smell like hot chocolate. It's nice."

"Okay."

"Are you laughing at me?" I frown at him even though he's not looking at me.

"Please go to sleep," he chuckles, resting his head atop mine. "Today's been crazy and you need to rest. I'll wake you up later."

"What will you do?"

"Don't worry about me and go to sleep."

"But –"

"Sleep," he commands firmly. "I'll feel better knowing you've rested."

"Okay." My eyes fall shut and I snuggle into him more, placing a hand on his chest. Just as the waves of sleep pull me under, I murmur, "Hot chocolate is my favourite but I promised Alex he'll always be my number one."

"Then I'll be all the other numbers."

"That's a huge commitment and I'm a difficult person."

"For you, I'll endure anything."

"How cheesy."

"No, you."