Chapter 30

After lunch I find myself wandering up the stairs to John's room. I hesitate opening the door, not having been here in so long making me nervous.

"I'm not hiding any bodies in there." John comes up behind me and opens the door, pushing me in when I still don't move. "See?" He gestures to the room then collapses on his bed, patting the space beside him.

"Nothing's changed. It really is as I saw it last." I can't keep the nostalgic tone out of my voice as I join him, looking at all the posters and pictures on the blue walls, the same wooden desk and small plants dotted about. Even the bed when I sit on it is as soft as I remember.

"I should probably redecorate at some point, huh?" he lets out an embarrassed chuckle. "Still there's no bodies."

"I'm glad you didn't become a murderer without my company," I joke, my nerves easing. Sighing, I lean back against the wall. The familiarity of this room...I thought coming here would hurt; that's why I was hesitant even though I knew it was something I had to do. But actually, staring at the posters John's collected over the years is oddly reassuring – the memories of past days bringing me comfort instead of filling me with guilt like they used to.

"I'm more likely to become one in your company, don't you think?"

My response is to elbow him in the gut, eliciting another chuckle from him, this one full of fond amusement. The laughter reaches his eyes and I don't why but I start laughing too. "I'm not that bad of an influence," I try to defend.

"Sure." He's not convinced at all, his blue eyes narrowing and smile fading.

"I'm not!" I cross my arms, mirroring the look he's giving me.

"Really? Sometimes I couldn't tell if I was your best friend or babysitter."

Ouch. He didn't have to hit me with the truth like that. Another glare and then I look away in defeat, my eyes landing on something leaning against the wall that I didn't notice before. "You have a guitar?"

"It's not mine. Elliott left it here last time he came over."

"He plays?" I can't hide my fascination, making John smirk knowingly.

"Yeah and Elijah plays the piano."

"Cool." The time they were serenading each other comes to mind and it only now occurs to me that they both sang really well. "Have they ever played for you?"

"Lots of times." There's something in his tone that causes the mood to shift, the air seeming heavy. "If it wasn't for them, I would've..." he trails off, shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts. When he looks at me, his eyes are bright and smile even more so. "I'm really glad you're here. It's like the final piece of the puzzle has been set and now everything is perfect. Everything will truly be okay."

I'm not sure how to respond so I don't, the sincerity of his words touching me deeply.

"Do you ever think about what would've happened had our mums not introduced us to each other?" he asks after a while. "I mean we were so different and honestly, I don't think I would've befriended you on my own."

All the time. My life would've been so different if he wasn't in it. I think back to what Alex said about John having always been there in his life and it's the same for me too. Even if we weren't related, we would've been a family anyway. I don't think I can imagine a reality without him in it. "I like to think that we still would've crossed paths somehow. Some way other than what Dad did."

"You do?"

"Mmhm." I nod, feeling a tug in my chest. Before the moment becomes too much, I get up from the bed. "Anyways, I'm going to see what the others are up to."

John doesn't stop me from leaving but I can sense his stupid grin follow me as I exit the room.

****

"Sam!" Anna screams running up to me as I return to the living room that has now been turned into a salon. "You're my new customer!"

"Finally," Alex mutters. There's multiple sprouts growing from his head, clips and flowers placed everywhere. As I sit next to him, I notice there's also glitter dusted on his face from Anna's attempts to put makeup on him. "This was okay back then but not now."

"Why? You look beautiful," I tease.

"There's a forest on my head," he deadpans.

"Don't you like it?" Anna sulks at him, her eyes becoming glassy.

Alex's expression immediately softens and he reaches out to her. "Come here." She sits in front of him and he ruffles her hair. "I love it okay? You made me look like a super cool prince. How can I not like it?"

"Do you really mean it?"

"Yeah." He pokes her cheeks then smiles at her. "How about we turn Sam into a witch?"

"Yes!" She raises her fists in the air. "And we can turn John into a troll!"

"And then we have to defeat them!"

"Because they kidnapped Mummy!"

Alex gasps. "How could they? That's our queen!"

Anna turns to me with what's supposed to be an intimidating look. "Bad witch! You put our kingdom in danger!"

"Because I want to be the queen and you will all serve me." I pull her onto my lap and pretend to gobble her up. "If you don't, I'll eat you up."

She bursts out into a fit of giggles. "Alex help me. I can't get eaten."

He grabs a cushion and whacks me with it, using the time I take to recover to take Anna's hand and escape. "Quick! I don't think she needs the makeover to become a witch; she already is one. Just look at that hideous hair!"

"Alex!" I rise to my feet and chase after them, their yelling and laughter filling the otherwise peaceful house. We spend the rest of the afternoon playing and it feels so good and so right, like setting the final puzzle piece in place or arriving to where you were meant to be all along.