Chapter 28

We've finished the chips and chicken tenders by the time the others join us, Elijah animatedly telling John and Reina a story as they sit down.

"Can you believe it? All that and my grandma's only response is to brush it off as a load of foofaraw. I mean, have you ever had a pigeon fly into your kitchen and peck at everything? No right?" he sighs, slumping back in his seat. His eyes turn to me and Elliott. "Oh hey guys. How've you been?"

"Good. We're good," Elliott answers, looking at me playfully. "Right Sam?"

"Yup, absolutely spiffing." I shift in my seat, putting some space between us. When had he moved closer? Where did the gap between our chairs go?

"Right," John says suspiciously, narrowing his eyes at us. Reina also turns to us, raising a brow questioningly.

"Anyways," Elijah cuts in, oblivious to what's going on. "We're all done right? Should we get going?"

"Sure." Elliott grabs his bag and stands up, the rest of us following.

As we leave the building, John falls into step beside me, pulling me back so we fall behind the others. "Mind telling me what that was about?"

"What?" I play dumb, casting all thoughts about the golden boy ahead of me out of my mind.

"You and Ellie. What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Liar." He pauses then smirks at me. "Did you both finally confess to each other?"

"No!" The heat rising in my cheeks betrays me and I look to the ground shyly. Then a thought occurs to me. "Listen," my voice comes out more seriously and he immediately notices my shift in mood, putting a hand on my shoulder. "I told him about what happened."

"Everything?"

"Everything." He doesn't respond but turns to face me, both of us stopping in our tracks. He has that look in his eyes, the one from in the library when he told me he trusts Elliott, the one I've never been able to make out despite knowing him for so many years.

"John, I think I really really like him." I lean my head on his chest, feeling tired all of a sudden. "But I also need to get my crap together and he doesn't need to deal with all that, right?"

"Then just tell him honestly. He'll understand."

"You think so?"

"I know so. He might be an idiot on the outside but that's really all it is. I mean, he was there for me when I was getting my crap together and he always gave me space to open up to him in my own time." He kisses the top of my head. "He'll do the same for you so just be honest."

"Hey, are you both coming?" Elliott yells to us, walking backwards and almost bumping into Elijah, who steadies him.

"Yeah!" We both increase our pace, jogging up to them.

Elliott puts an arm around me, pulling me to his side. "You okay?"

I think about it for a second and a real smile tugs at my lips as I look at him. "Yeah. I'm okay."

****

There's a loud commotion as soon as I get home, loud voices instantly reaching my ears. Taking off my shoes, I follow the noise to the living room, finding Alex trying to tackle Jacob off the sofa. All he's achieved though is to get Jacob to lie down, who despite repeatedly asking Alex to get off, doesn't actually seem that bothered.

"What's going on here?" They both turn to me, Alex grinning cheekily.

"I'm forcing Jakey to give me attention." He stops trying to push Jacob off and sits on top of him instead, the older boy letting out an oof.

"You know what he does in school?" Jacobs asks me. "Whenever we cross paths, he calls out my name and waves his arms until I acknowledge him. Sometimes he runs up to me and hugs me, not at all caring that we have an audience."

"I'm trying to ruin your tough guy image. Is it working?"

"No. Never."

"Really?" He gives Jacob an intimidating look.

"Really." Jacob returns the look.

At that moment my phone buzzes in my pocket. I take it out and see a text from Elliott: Thanks for the free food today. I was really hungry and forgot to bring money.

Scoffing, I roll my eyes and type out a reply: It wasn't for you. I didn't even know you'd join me.

His reply comes instantly: And yet you didn't reject my company and let me eat the food. I knew I loved you for a reason.

I know he's just messing around but I can't help the shy smile pulling at my lips.

"Sam, who are you texting?" Jacob asks.

"It's obviously Elliott," Alex answers. "Should we make a bet? How long do you think it'll take for them to get together?"

"I give it a month," Catherine says as she enters the room, plonking herself on the sofa beside me. "Have you seen the way they look at each other?"

"I say two," Jacob pipes up. "Sam's shy when it comes to this stuff."

Why are they talking about me as if I'm not here? "Guys –"

"One and a half!" Alex cuts me off.

They continue bickering and I turn back to my phone as another text from Elliott comes through.

Elliott: Where did you go? Getting cold feet already?

Elliott: Sam! Saaaam!!! Why aren't you replying??

I quickly type out a reply: Stop being clingy. We're not even together yet.

This time he takes a little longer to respond: Meanie >:(

I can picture him sulking at his screen and a small giggle escapes me. Unfortunately, this also brings everyone's attention back to me, all of them smirking wickedly.

"Never mind," Jacob says, "Cath I think your prediction is right. It will take them one month max."

"Trust me," Catherine replies smugly. "Girls know these things."

"Guys please." I try to make them back off but am unsuccessful once again.

"Sam and Ellie!" Alex yells loudly, running around the room. "Sam and Ellie sitting in a tree!"

"K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Jacob continues, hyping him up.

"First comes love –" Alex giddily finishes the song, twirling with his arms spread wide as if he's performing on stage.

Jacob and Catherine clap enthusiastically at his performance, Jacob also cheering. Though I can feel myself blushing, there's a warmth bubbling inside me. When was the last time the four of us fooled around together? I never realised before how careful all of us had been until now. Or maybe they had just been careful around me. Either way, I'm happy it's changing. Something so mundane and silly...it's for moments like this I want to keep trying.