Chapter 50

"Sam hurry up!" Alex bursts into the room, his momentum causing him to tumble onto the floor.

"You should slow down," I say amusedly as I clasp a bracelet onto my wrist and check my appearance in the mirror.

"But everyone's here now including Ellie. You can't keep your boyfriend waiting."

"Okay okay. See? I'm ready." I grab my bag and help him off the floor. "If you keep tumbling around, you'll hurt yourself and damage your clothes."

He frowns at me and crosses his arms. "That's what Mum used to say to you."

"And it's true." I follow him down the stairs and look for a pair of shoes that will match my outfit.

"But it's my birthday today. You're not allowed to nag at me."

"Then don't give me reasons to."

He grabs a pair of brown sandals and tosses them at me before stomping off. "Jakey! Sam's bullying me. She doesn't love me anymore."

"Did you make her mad?" I hear his teasing voice from the living room.

"No! Don't you dare side with her."

"It's okay Alex," John comforts him. "You have me instead."

"Don't be sad." I can picture Anna giving him a hug. "It's your birthday."

Smiling to myself, I look at the sandals Alex gave me and realise they're the perfect match for my cream-coloured dress. Before I can put them on, I'm pushed back against the wall and greeted with Elliott's mischievous smirk.

"Oh no. Nope. Not today," I say firmly, glaring at him.

"You don't even know what I want."

"No fooling around with me. You're here because Alex wanted you to come."

"And you don't?" He plays with a lock of my hair, his expression softening into something more vulnerable and earnest.

"Of course I want you to come." I reach up to cup his face, brushing my thumb along his cheek and smiling when he leans into my touch. "I've known you for six months but in that time you've become so important to me and my family. You're one of us now."

"Am I? That's good to know."

I reach my other hand up to his face and he leans down, knowing what I want and more than happy to comply. He lets me initiate it and we keep it chaste and brief since we need to leave soon. Something falling on the floor has us looking away from each other and towards Anna, who stands there open-mouthed and wide-eyed in shock, her empty bowl by her feet. How much did she see? Please let her have arrived after we broke the kiss.

"Um hey Anna," Elliott greets bashfully.

"You're Sam's boyfriend? But you're John's best friend!"

"I'm both?" Why does he sound so unsure?

She turns to me and crosses her arms. "And you're John's best friend too. Why are you kissing his other best friend?"

"B-because he's my boyfriend?" Why do I sound so unsure?

"When did this happen?" She narrows her eyes at both of us.

When? I don't know when. It just happened. I look to Elliott for help but he doesn't know either, shaking his head. "Umm does this make you angry?"

"I don't want John to be alone."

"Anna..." I kneel in front of her, feeling something tug in my chest as I hug her. "Elliott's my boyfriend but that doesn't mean I've forgotten about John. He's always been my best friend and always will be."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"Ellie too?" She breaks away from me and turns to him.

He smiles and picks her up, kissing her cheek. "John's still my best friend and you're still my princess."

"Mmm okay."

"What's going on here?" John helps me up and puts his arm around me.

"John!" Anna looks at him excitedly. "I caught them kissing."

John gasps dramatically. "Really? How naughty."

"And they promised that they won't leave you alone."

"That's great." His arm around me tightens and he smiles at Elliott, something flashing in his eyes that Elliott understands for he looks at John fondly.

"Sam! Sam!" Alex leaves the living room and stomps his way back to me. "Sam, Jakey is bullying me. He thinks he's so tough just because he's finished high school now."

"What did he say?" I ask, ruffling his hair as I try not to laugh.

"I was minding my own business, singing nursery rhymes to myself, when he started calling me a baby and asking why I've not grown up yet," he sulks cutely, pouting his lips and crossing his arms as he glares at the floor. "I can sing what I like. What's it got to do with him?"

"You're right. You're free to sing what you like. It doesn't make you a baby."

"Yeah so tell him! Catherine was just laughing."

"Okay I will."

"You better."

I nod and he nods back before hugging me. "What was that for?"

"Just because." He shrugs then looks at everyone else – who are talking amongst themselves – before whispering in my ear, "I'm reminding you why today's your favourite day and that I love you and seeing you so full of life again makes me really really happy. It's the best gift I could've wished for."

"Are you trying to make me cry?" I chuckle as my eyes glisten with tears.

"It's not my fault you're emotional," he teases and kisses my cheek. "Really though. I love you so much. I wouldn't have gotten through anything without you."

"Nor I without you. Thank you for being born."

His eyes are shining and he simply hugs me again. I know then that no matter what else life throws at us, we'll manage to get though it. We'll fight and conquer and succeed. Because we have each other and we have everyone who cares about us and that's enough. Maybe we're scared and unsure sometimes but we don't need to face it alone. We're both stronger now and we can face it together. Together, we'll be unbeatable.