-50 - The End of the Contract

[End of the Contract]

Third person's pov

Sunlight streams through the window, casting a golden glow on the room. Dust motes dance in the air, illuminated by the morning light. Freen stirs in her bed, a soft smile playing on her lips. She opens her eyes, a sense of lightness washing over her.

" It's finally here. " she whispered. 

She sits up, stretching languidly, her limbs feeling lighter than they have in a long time. The weight of the past seems to have lifted, replaced by a sense of anticipation and hope.

She stands in front of the mirror, her reflection staring back at her. Her eyes are bright, her skin glows with a newfound radiance. She runs her fingers through her hair, feeling the softness, the strength.

"  You're ready. " She said to her reflection. 

++++ 

In the bustling school hallway. Students chatter and laugh, their voices blending into a cacophony of teenage energy. Freen walks through the crowd, her head held high. She's no longer the shy, withdrawn girl she used to be. There's a newfound confidence in her stride, a sense of purpose in her gaze.

" Good morning, Freen! " 

" Hey, Freen! Looking good! " 

Freen acknowledges them with slight smiles, her gaze unwavering. She walks with a newfound confidence, her steps lighter than ever before. She doesn't linger, doesn't engage in lengthy conversations. She has a destination, a purpose, and she's focused on getting there.

+++ 

A table in the cafeteria. Nam, Irin, Heng, and Noey are gathered, their faces a mixture of excitement and nervousness. Freen joins them, taking a seat.

" Freen! You look amazing! " Nam said. 

" You're glowing! " Irin agreed. 

" We're all so happy for you. " Heng added. 

" Today's the day, huh? " Noey asked. 

Freen nods, a small smile playing on her lips.

" It is. " 

" We're all here for you, Freen. Whatever happens, we'll be there. " 

" You're not alone. " - Irin

Freen looks at her friends, their faces filled with genuine concern and support. A wave of warmth washes over her. She knows she's lucky to have them in her life.

" Thank you, guys. I appreciate it. " Freen thanked them. 

 This is what she's been waiting for, this sense of freedom, this new beginning. She's finally ready to move on.

++++ 

Freen's on her way home when her phone rung. 

" Hello? " 

" Freen, you're up for a meeting with us right? what was it about? "  the voice on the other side of the call said. 

" yes, dad. it's important. " 

" what was it? " 

" you'll see. " she said and ended the call. She sighed and drove faster. 

++++ 

In a dimly lit living room. The air is thick with tension.  Freen stands awkwardly in the doorway, her eyes searching the room.  Her father sits on the couch, a newspaper in his hands, but he doesn't look up.  Becky sits opposite him, her face pale and drawn.  Beside her, Becky's parents. Across from them, Freen's mother, sits with a worried frown etched on her face.

" guess you're all here then. " Freen said. 

Her father lowers the newspaper, his expression unreadable.  

"   Freen, honey, what's wrong? " Freen's mom asked. 

" It's already a year. A year of bearing with each other. All in all. As you said to me, this doesn't matter anyways right? I hope the debt is already paid. " Freen started. 

" Freen— " Becky's mom tried to talk but Freen stops her. 

" I hope a year is enough. Because for me and for us. It's enough. " Freen said. 

" So what are you trying to say? " Freen's father responded. 

" I've been thinking a lot lately, and I've come to a decision. " Freen said. She sighed and slowly looked at becky who's now staring at her. 

"  I'm going to file for an annulment. " 

The room falls silent.  Her father's eyebrows rise in surprise, but he says nothing.  Becky, however, looks stunned.  She opens her mouth to speak, but no words come out. Freen's mom however, lets out a sharp gasp.

" Annulment?  But why?  What about the families?  What about the agreement? " freen's mom asked. 

" there's an agreement, freen. " Becky added. 

Freen looked again to becky and didn't break her stare. 

" We talked about this, remember?  It was always just a contract. And today is the end of it. " 

"  Freen, honey, we understand this is a difficult decision, but...  Have you considered the consequences?  The social implications? " Becky's mom asked. 

" Dad, I've thought about it.  I've thought about everything.  This isn't working.  It's not what I want, it's not what Becky wants.  We're both young, we both have our own lives to live.  This...  This wasn't meant to be forever. " Freen answered. 

"  Becky, honey, is this true?  Are you unhappy? " Becky's mom asked. 

" I...  I don't know what to say. " Becky whispered. 

"  Don't you dare say you're unhappy, Becky!  You're married!  You have a responsibility to your family, to Freen! " Freen's mom scrowled ready to give Becky the loudest anger. But Freen stops her. 

"  Mom, please.  This isn't about responsibility, it's about happiness.  And I know, Becky, that we're both unhappy.  It's time to be honest with ourselves and with each other. " Freen said in panic. 

"  I...  I just...  I thought we were happy. " Becky whispered, looking down. Freen's feeling like her knees are going to give up by Becky's state. But she's thinking about how Becky treated her. But still, she just found her self, kneeling in front of becky and holding her hands. 

" We were, Becky.  But happiness isn't always enough.  Sometimes, you have to do what's right for yourself, even if it hurts. " 

 Tears well up in their eyes, but Becky blinks them back.  She looks at Freen, her expression a mixture of sadness and confusion.  She glances at her mother, who is glaring at her with disapproval.

"  It's okay.  We'll be okay.  We'll both be okay. " Freen said and stood up, leaving everything behind—including Becky.