AZI Volume 6 Chapter 59

"Hm?"

"Oh?"

Contrary to the wariness that the others are showing in response to the sound of approaching footsteps, Gui Lian and Teng Hao felt a sense of relief, as they looked through the dense fog, and saw the people who were approaching them.

"Hm?"

Leading the group is none other than Yang Hai, and behind him are five other villagers, to which, Teng Hao raises a hand, and greets—

"Aiya, Lao Yang, long time no see."

"...?"

Towards Teng Hao, Yang Hai narrows his eyes while tilting his head.

Momentarily—

".........Ah, Gui Lian and Lao Teng."

"Took you long enough, I was starting to worry about you not recognizing us..."

"You can't blame for that."

Due to the attire worn by the two being very different from the sort that he is used to seeing them in—in his memories, Yang Hai took a while to realize that they were peers of the same village.

Clearing his throat, Yang Hai asks—

"In any case, what's going on? ...Judging by the mood, it feels like a fight would break out."

Maintaining an expression of wariness towards Yang Hai and the others, Ye Chen asks—

"Who are these people?"

Towards the foreign Sinners' display of wariness, Gui Lian says—

"For the time being, let's just head back inside, and have a chat. Don't worry, we don't have any ill intent. ...Correct?"

"...Un."

Towards Gui Lian's question, Yang Hai nods his head.

"...Well?"

"...Can they be trusted?"

"...What choice do we have but to trust them? It's the quickest means to get more information."

"Hmm..."

As Ye Chen and the others exchanged looks, they eventually decided to put a bit of faith in the other party.

Just as Ling Yi had pointed out, so long as the other party aren't practitioners, there's room for negotiation.

"..."

"..."

Heading back into the cave, and seating themselves in a circle, Gui Lian begins the conversation by explaining—

"Teng Hao and I, we're members of the village that Yang Hai and the others are from. The name of the village is the Serpent Deity Village. We...- Hmm, basically Teng Hao and I are sort of like the scouts of the village, who ventures into the outside world to conduct a survey of the lands. We're charged with bringing information back to the village—regarding the situation outside, whether that be information related to the Sinners or the Immortals."

"...How long has this village existed for?"

Towards Wang Yongning's question, Gui Lian shakes her head, and replies—

"Everyone has already lost count, but I could give you a very rough estimate. If I recall correctly—throughout the course of its existence, the language spoken in the village has changed more than 20 times."

Hearing this, Long Hua thought—

(More than 20 times? Hmm, assuming that one language was used per era, then... Has this village been able to avoid the wipe-out phenomenon, while maintaining records?)