Chapter 394 - The Best

"Are we going now?" Ye Yun was taken aback, immediately feeling her legs weaken.

Seeing her like this, Ning Chen knew she was feeling lazy.

It was both amusing and exasperating.

"You, always afraid of the cold and tiredness, such a delicate thing. I've ordered a warm sedan chair; it won't take long to get there," Ning Chen said, pinching her nose playfully.

Ye Yun blinked at him, then reached out to take Ning Chen's hand, intertwining their fingers.

"Your Majesty treats me so well. If I were to walk on the road alone, of course, I'd be exhausted."

"Well, at least your hands aren't cold this year," Ning Chen casually remarked as he felt the warmth radiating from her palm.

This woman always had cold hands in winter and had never let go of her hand warmer, but this year was different.

Ye Yun smiled and explained, "Imperial Physician Shen said it's because I'm pregnant. This child must have a fiery temperament, just like me..."

"Any kind of child is fine; my child with you will surely be the best," Ning Chen said softly, his tone unconsciously tender.

"Your Majesty, please don't say that. If others hear, it will only stir up more gossip," Ye Yun quickly pressed her index finger against his lips and whispered, "Such words are best kept private, just to make me happy."

Ning Chen could say this because he was the Emperor, but Ye Yun could not.

If she did, it could be seen as arrogance or even construed as having ulterior motives.

It was better to be cautious.

The word "happy" also told Ning Chen that she didn't take his words too seriously.

At this moment, however, Ning Chen felt conflicted.

He had always wanted to treat all his children equally, but gradually he noticed that the Fourth Prince seemed to receive a bit more of his attention.

No other child had he been so involved with from birth to the present, knowing every detail.

This level of involvement sometimes made him feel that only the Fourth Prince was truly his child; the others felt a bit distant.

This was also true for the child Ye Yun was carrying now.

At six months, he was well aware of when this pregnancy first showed signs of movement.

Of course, this was also because Ye Yun had been telling him, but he enjoyed this feeling.

This tangible sense of welcoming a new life.

Because of his involvement, his feelings were different.

Ning Chen didn't fully understand the psychological implications of all this, but Ye Yun did, and she deliberately guided it all.

So what if he was the Emperor? He was also a father and had to participate.

Initially, Ye Yun didn't want her child to lack paternal love, but gradually it evolved into Ning Chen feeling a strong sense of responsibility as a father.

Emotional bonds are cultivated this way, from nothing to something.

Of course, these were all afterthoughts. At this moment, the warm sedan chair arrived to take them from Zhaochun Pavilion and headed straight for Jiuchen Palace.

When the people in the harem saw the Emperor come out of Zhaochun Pavilion, they initially thought Ye Yun had somehow upset him, causing him to return in anger.