Pawn 032

Park Sandara

The next day, Omma called us for lunch, and Sanghyun and I quickly went down to the kitchen.

"So, what did the two of you do yesterday and this morning?" CL casually inquired as we sat down.

"Internet research, noona," Sanghyun said nonchalantly. "Something related to, uh, Appa's case."

"You should've asked for my help," CL said. "Maybe I could have lent a hand or something."

"No, don't sweat it, C," I told her. "There's a reason why Sanghyun can't keep his hands off the computer—especially when he's terribly curious about something."

"Aw noona!"Sanghyun scowled and tossed a celery stick on my face. I giggled.

"Stop that, you two, and have some lunch," Omma said, smiling, and we started to eat.

We ate in comfortable silence, chatting for a bit or two. Sanghyun would throw jokes about me to CL and Bom, and I'd avenge myself by removing pork strips from his bowl and gobbling it whole. Bom and CL cracked up whenever they'd see Sanghyun's childish, frowning face as he tried to take the strips back.

Our meal was interrupted when we heard harsh knocks on the door. Sanghyun stood up, his face impassive as he opened it.

"What—" Sanghyun's words were cut off when a fully black-clad man went in, his eyes glacial as he stared at us.

"Shadow," CL breathed, and Omma paled, tightening her grip on the edge of the table.

"You.All of you. Pack everything you need—clothes, money, IDs, passports. No need to know why, just follow me. Quick! Move!" he ordered in a rigid voice. It took us a minute before we stood up and started to move.

"But why?" CL asked as she picked up all the bowls. "Oppa never told me anything!"

"I'm sorry, Lady, but just move. Quick, don't make any suspicious sounds," the Shadow replied, tension clear in his tone. "Time is running!"

Sensing the odd urgency in his tone, I quickly went up my room and stuffed clothes and some of my money, as well as my IDs. I didn't notice that Sanghyun had also went in, typing something on my computer.

"What are you doing?" I hissed at him.

"Noona, I think this is some emergency and you'll need this," Sanghyun muttered as he fished a flash drive from his pocket. He then inserted it on the USB port and started to pack his own things too.

Suddenly, we heard series of gunshots from below, and both of us froze before we moved faster. Behind me, Sanghyun was cursing under his breath, his fingers thrumming on the desktop.

"Come on come on come on can't this move damn faster?!" he muttered.

"What's that, anyway?!" I asked as I zipped my bag.

"This might help, noona—some trust, please," he said in a hushed tone. "These are stuffs I'd found last night while you were asleep. This will be probably the thanks I'll give you for all those years."

"Sanghyun!" I gasped, tears flooding my eyes.

I turned, and I saw Sanghyun retrieving the flash drive from the port. He then grabbed a thin silver chain and put the tiny flash drive on it, like putting a charm on a necklace. The flash drive was shaped like a diamond-shaped locket with a heart-shaped gem in the center, so it wouldn't be suspicious. He then wore it on my neck, fastening it, and then kissed the top of my head, whispering something I tried to catch.

He then looked up and froze, his grip on my arms tightening. "Duck!" he hissed, and we both did, rolling on the floor. When I looked up, I realized a dagger was about to hit me if Sanghyun hadn't seen it. It was now buried on my computer monitor.