Pawn 043

Park Sandara

I fluttered my eyes awake, and the first thing I saw was a . . . uh, a man's chest? I quickly looked up, and I almost screamed.

Jiyong was fast asleep beside me, naked from the waist up. His left arm was under my neck, and the other was wrapped around my waist. I felt my cheeks burn furiously, my heart thudding loudly in my chest. GYAAAAAAAA!!

Ottokae, ottokae, ottokae . . . not again! What should I do!?!?! I'm losing my wits here!

I inched away from him, trying to calm myself down. Okay, it's not as if it's my first time waking up next to him but—waaahhh!!!

At the corner of my eye, I saw something that kind of interested me. It was then that I noticed he has tattoos—two tattoos, actually. Just above his navel were two x's, and a Latin inscription by his right clavicle. If I'm not mistaken, it means, "Life is nothing but an illusion." Thinking that it wouldn't hurt—or wake—him, I lightly traced it with my finger. I wonder why he chose it to be marked on his skin. Maybe because of his bleak, sad past . . .

"What are you doing?" I heard someone mumble softly. I blushed, realizing that Jiyong was already awake.

I smiled, trying to mask my panic. Geez, that just-woke-up voice. "I think I should be the one asking that," I whispered.

I think he's grinning. "Yes, you're right," he acquiesced. "I found you asleep by hyung's laptop, and you were shivering. Since I found the comforter cold . . . uh . . . I decided to give you some body warmth. It, uh, worked, I guess." I looked up again, and I saw him, bless his heart, blushing. His eyes were dark but playful as he stared back at me. "How about you? Found my tattoo intriguing?"

"Well, yeah," I admitted. I traced it again lightly. "What made you choose this?"

He sighed. "I think it's somewhat my thought because of what I'd been through," he breathed after a moment. "But I think I should remove it—it's not so true to me anymore."

"Huh?" My finger paused.

I felt his lips touch the top of my head. "I don't think my life is an illusion anymore after I met you." He said against my hair.

I could feel myself melt in his words. Wow. Who would have thought this terrifying dragon (especially when he glares) can be so . . . sweet?

"You don't sound like you, Dragon Emperor," I teased him gently.

He laughed softly as he caressed my cheek. "True. It's kind of scaring me sometimes."

"Why?"

"Because it feels like I'm losing my edge as someone to be feared."

I propped myself up in one elbow, staring down at him. "Well, I've seen you that several times already, and I have to admit, those experiences do scare the living daylights out of me."

He smiled wryly. "But you're still here. With us—with me. Do you intend to run soon?"

I frowned in confusion. "Huh?"

He rested a hand on the left side of my face, his thumb making circles on my cheek. "You haven't seen me in my true element, Sandara. My brothers and my sister have, and I don't think they found it pleasant."

I blinked, remembering all those times I've seen him mad, especially the night I was kidnapped. "So it's true," I found myself whispering.

"What is it, butterfly?"

I looked at him squarely in the eye. "That no one should ever take that mask off you."

He looked back at me, silent, and he sighed. "I don't want to take it off, honestly," he said softly. "Well, I did before, and it actually scared BIGBANG. Especially my sister. At that time, I wasn't able to really rein in my temper, so it usually happens. It was when I almost killed them that made me realize that I should really exercise control."