Pawn 001

Park Sandara

I sighed as I dragged my luggage here at the Airport. Above, the sky is a dark shade of gray, as if it’s going to rain or snow anytime. It was still winter, anyway, though spring is only a couple of weeks away already.

I still couldn’t believe I had to leave Busan, the place where I was born and grew up, and stay here in Seoul instead. I knew I had to study in college, but even though I’m still here at the airport, I couldn’t help but feel homesick.

I shook my head. Now is the time to get out of here and hail a cab to my apartment.

As soon as I was outside, I hailed the nearest cab and told the driver where to go. He nodded as he assisted me in putting my baggage in the trunk.

While on our way to my apartment, my thoughts wandered away. I thought of my mother and how she raised me and my younger brother alone and worked hard to sustain our needs. I thought of my pesky but lovable bear of a brother and how he constantly kept me happy. I thought of our simple but happy home in Busan, where I was born and grew up.

And I thought of this thing that bugged me for twenty-three years of my life—my missing father.

All Omma said was that Appa just vanished out of nowhere when I was still young and she was still pregnant with my brother. It was sudden, really—he never came back after he ate his breakfast. Of course I was still too young to remember everything, but there’s one thing I was sure of—the feeling of loss when he went away and never returned.

We never had any news from him—no call, no letter, no email. For short, he just dropped himself off the map. Omma is still quite broken after all these years, but still she kept herself strong for me and my brother.

That was the main reason why I went here—to study so maybe I could have a stable job and be able to help my family.

Omma was against this at first, though. She said it was very dangerous for me to stay in Seoul, and I could get hurt.

“But why, omma?” I was confused. Shouldn’t omma be happy now that I’m going to study in Seoul? It’s my dream!

“Because I told you so, Dara-ah. It’s very dangerous! Can’t you just stay here to study?” She pleaded, her eyes glistening.

“But omma! I want to help you, that’s what! I’ll find a job in Seoul so I could help you! Please, omma, I really want to study in college . . .” I begged, fighting a sob.

“Dara-ah . . .” She sighed, closing her eyes.

“Please, omma?”

Omma tried to convince me in the succeeding days after that, but I still remained stubborn. In the end, I won.

“Whatever makes you happy, Dara-ah . .  . Fine, I agree.” She sighed.

I squealed happily. “Kyaaah! Thank you, omma!” I hugged her tight. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

She chuckled as she hugged me back. “Keep safe, arasso? But there’s one thing you should remember Dara-ah . . .”

I pulled back. “What is it, Omma?”

She suddenly looked serious. “Do not trust people whom you feel do not deserve your trust. Do not let yourself fall easily in quiet traps. Most importantly—be alert.”

She looked so grim as she uttered those words so I only nodded. “Yes, omma. I will.”

She continued to look at me before she gave me a tight embrace. “I love you, my child. Please do not forget it, arasso?”

I nodded. “Arasso, omma. I love you too.”

“Miss? Miss? We’re already here.” The driver’s voice broke my reverie.

I looked outside and sure enough, we were already here.

I paid the driver and thanked him, and then I went out to grab my belongings. As soon as I did, I stared at the apartment’s gate.

Well, I’m already here . . . good luck, Dara.

I rang the doorbell repeatedly until somebody opened it for me.

“Who is it—Dara?!” A pretty lady with long black hair exclaimed in surprise.

“Wait—Bom?!” I exclaimed in shock as I recognized her.

“DARAAAAAAAAAA!!” she screamed in surprise and hugged me tight. “Omo, I missed you sooooo much!!”

“Can’t . . . breathe . . .” I gasped.

She suddenly broke it off, grinning apologetically. “Sorry,” she said, pouting.

I laughed. She hadn’t changed one bit—maybe except she looked mature this time.

“Anyway, what are you doing here in Seoul, Dara-ah? I thought you’re still in Busan!”

“Before I could explain everything, do you mind letting me inside first? It’s cold!”

“Whoops—sorry!”

“So—you’re studying at YG University for college! That’s cool! That means we’re on the same school then!” Bom crowed excitedly as I told her the reason why I went here in Seoul.

“Really? You’re studying in YGU too?” I gasped.

“Yep! First year college like you! What course are you taking?”

“Business Administration. I want to start a business—oh, you know that Bommie,” I shook my head, trying to stifle my giggle.

She laughed. “Don’t tell me you still want to be an owner of a totally big company, Park Sandara!”

“Well, that’s my childhood dream.” We both laughed.

Park Bom, or Bommie as I call her sometimes, is my cousin. We are totally best of friends even way back when we were still kids back in Busan. I really missed her when she moved out to Seoul when we were both in middle school though.

“How about you, Bommie?” I asked.

“Same as you, Dara-ah! Omo, I hope we’re classmates!” She clapped excitedly.

“Whoops, by the way, which room are you staying?” she suddenly asked.

“Umm . . .” I tried to recall. “Room . . . 888?”

Her mouth hung open, like an O, and then she hugged me tight.

“DARA-AHHHH!” she sang loudly.

“What?!”

“You’re my roommate! Yeeeeeeyyyyy!!!!” She rocked both of us back in forth in pure excitement.

“Okay—WHAT?!” I exclaimed in surprise as I broke off the hug.

“Silly Dara!” she poked my forehead with her index finger. “It’s my room too you know! Didn’t you read it outside?”

I scrambled out of the room to check it out---and yeah, it is indeed Room 888.

“The landlady told me awhile ago I could have a roommate,” Bom continued as I went back inside. “It’s so good to know it’s my bestest cousin!”

I smiled. Her cheerfulness never wavered a bit.

“Yah Dara! I think we should take a rest now. Have you eaten, by the way?”

“Uh . . . not yet,” I admitted, blushing.

She beamed. “Good! Because we’re having dinner!”