Pawn 035

Park Sandara

I know it's already midnight, and I'm supposed to sleep to recover myself. I know I should be calm and okay.

Goodness, but I am not.

My heart still thudded loudly, and for sure my cheeks are still warm. Until now, Jiyong's actions and words still reverberate in my head.

"I'm doing this because . . . you are now my lifeline."

I rolled to my stomach again, burying my face in the pillows as I tried not to scream—okay, squeal. What did Jiyong mean by that? I am now his . . . lifeline?

I didn't expect that. The only thing that's on my brain right now is his nose tracing my cheek, and I can't even think properly. Am I going mad or something?

I rolled to my back and stared at the ceiling. Jiyong's actions towards me . . . they were totally different from how he acted before—cold, mocking, arrogant. His eyes were still cold and his aura just screams that he's dangerous . . . but his voice . . . isn't as cold as before.

He's a man of different personalities, sure—aloof, intelligent college student, merciless gangster, a warm, protective gentleman . . . and then this. A vulnerable boy . . . wait, did I say vulnerable?

Aish, I should really sleep now. But how?

Irritated by myself, I jumped off the bed and walked out the door, wanting to stay outside. I didn't see any sign of Jiyong on the kitchen and living room; I suspected he was outside, spying or something. I grabbed a thick coat from the coat hanger and opened the door. I then closed it when I was outside and sat on the top step of the stairs. I covered myself with the coat and hugged myself, looking up at the night sky.

It's a beautiful sight, something I only get to see whenever I am in Busan. The dark sky was filled with twinkling silvery stars—maybe I can even get to see a constellation or two. The forest was quiet, save for the singing of the crickets nearby.

I was tracing the Big Dipper with my finger when somebody sat beside me. I jumped, ready to pounce, but I froze when he held my hand.

"You're supposed to sleep, remember?" he said quietly as he stared at me, his eyes shining.

"S-sorry," I stuttered, trying to regain my composure. "I can't sleep."

"You're still quite stressed?"

"Well . . ." Quite stressed about what you said earlier, thank you very much.

He sighed and scooted near me, freeing my hand. I froze once more when I felt his body warmth just a few inches away from me. "Since both of us can't sleep, why don't we share stories instead?"

"Stories?" I squeaked.

He laughed softly. "Yes, stories. Anything. What I hear stays here, don't worry," he winked.

I blushed furiously as I looked away. Omo, what should I tell him about me?

"I'll start it, then," he said. "My name is Kwon Jiyong, 23, living in Seoul and currently the Head of BIGBANG. They call me Dragon Emperor, for reasons I never knew. I tend to keep things to myself . . . because of my dark past."

I looked at him, surprise in my face. He was staring at the stars, his face impassive.

"I have a complete family before, you know. A father, mother, a sister, and me. My father, Kwon Sang Woo, is a businessman. He started a company that builds luxury cars, and my mother, Yuri, inherited her family's clothing business. Those corporations would be divided to both of us—the car company to me, the clothing one to my sister, Ji Hyun."