Pawn 034

Park Sandara

"Hi," he said. "Come, I know you're quite hungry."

I blinked and quickly got off the couch, removing blankets that were wrapped around me. I stood up and walked towards him, a dumbfounded expression on my face. I sat on a chair across from him and stared at him, unable to speak.

"Sorry, I think Ji Hyun forgot to explain," he muttered as he sat down as well. "You see, when the Shadows told me that gangsters had already tracked you down—how they found you, I hadn't asked hyung yet—I quickly ordered the Shadows guarding you to keep you out of mainland South Korea and send you here. Everything seemed to be premeditated by the enemy"—his jaw clenched—"and thank goodness you're here in one piece. Are you all right?"

I nodded, still shocked at his presence. "Yeah."

He sighed and smiled at me. "Now, eat, Sandara. I think the events a while ago had taken its toll on you."

I nodded again and started to eat. I couldn't help the moan in my mouth when I tasted the food Jiyong prepared—grilled pork strips, spicy rice cakes and a vegetable salad with tuna flakes. Jiyong was chuckling as I wolfed down, reminding me to breathe every now and then.

"By the way, how did you find the way to the island?" he asked me.

"Mwhut?" I asked in confusion, my mouth full of those heavenly rice cakes.

"Aigoo, don't eat like a kid, Sandara," he grinned as he extended a hand and wiped the side of my lip with his thumb as I blushed in return. "I said, how did you find the way here? Ji Hyun told me she forgot to tell you the directions."

"Oh, she said the speedboat had that GPS, plus it has radar, she forgot to mention that," I replied. "And there's a trail in here, so I found this house. Is this yours?"

"Actually, this belongs to my father. He gave this to me when he passed away," he said nonchalantly. "And this island as well."

I almost choked on my juice. "You own an island?!" I exclaimed.

He grinned boyishly. "Well, yeah. Actually, I just inherited it, you know. This belonged to my great-great-grandfather—well, at least that's what my father told me."

I gaped at him, almost unable to comprehend what he'd just said earlier. "Oh, wow," I muttered. "Who would've thought Kwon Jiyong owns an island."

He laughed out loud. "Aish, Sandara, calm down a bit, will you? Finish your food, so we can rest a bit."

I finished my food and quickly put my bowls on the sink. I was about to wash them when Jiyong appeared beside me, holding my wrists. An unexplainable rush of static flooded my body as his hands touched my skin. His eyes were suddenly on me, dark and unreadable, and I could guess he was feeling the same.

"Don't bother washing them, Sandara, I can do it," he said, his voice hushed. "You can check the room first—there's a door off the living room."

"O-okay," I stuttered as I stepped out and rushed towards the door, blood coloring my cheeks. Ottokae?

I opened the maple door and took a look inside as I switched the lights. The walls were varnished and different paintings hung on every corner. The floor was entirely made of dark plank wood. By my left, there was a sliding glass door that led to a small balcony that gave a panoramic view of the island's seascape. In the middle of the room was a large king-sized bed with matching white and pale blue pillows covered with a thick comforter. I could only guess it could get chilly here sometimes.

At my right, my backpack was sitting on the top of the chest drawers, just between the closet and bookshelves. I quickly opened my bag and tried to grab some of my clothes, putting the stolen wallet and phone beneath the rest of my stuff.

Wait—is there any room aside from this?

As if on cue, he entered the room, his face showing embarrassment. "I forgot—this is the only room in the house. We were still kids when my father built this, and I hadn't had much time to reconstruct the whole house," he said, scratching his nape.

"Where would you stay?" I mumbled.

He smiled. "Don't worry, I can crash on the sofa. I don't want to make you, uh, uncomfortable."

"You're staying?" I asked, incredulity clear in my voice.

He nodded. "I'll keep you safe here. Anyway, I can keep track of whatever's happening in Seoul while I'm here."

I looked down, a sudden wave of shyness filling me when I realized he was really doing all this just to protect me. Unconsciously, I gripped the locket on my neck.

I heard him sigh and walk up to me. "Sandara," he whispered and put two fingers on my chin, forcing me to look up at him. "Don't be shy. It's okay. Hadn't I promised you before that I'll keep you safe? I'm just fulfilling it."

"But why?" I asked him, hypnotized by his eyes. "Why are you doing this?"

He took a deep breath and lowered his face to mine. His lips were dangerously an inch close to my own, and I could feel his warm breath fanning my face. My heart started to pound loudly, heat spreading in my cheeks. He touched the tip of my nose with his, and trailed a line to my left cheek all the way to my ear.

"I'm doing this because," he breathed, "you are now my lifeline."

My heartbeats were quickly turning into a staccato as he raised his face again, his eyes beyond compelling. "Rest now, butterfly."

He swiftly turned on his heel and left, while I just stood there, a hand in my chest, trying to slow my breathing.

[A/N: I had to mentally remind myself I am not Sandara here XD Wtf am I even writing

And excuse me did anyone hear me giggling like mad? 

I am just going to update y'all up to this chap. Such a tease, such a tease~

Oh, one chap every time I update this, btw. :DD

PS. Does anyone watch Magi or at least read the manga?]