Pawn 046

Park Sandara

"Did he want anything from you?" Shiro asked me when he found me at the kitchen, cleaning up.

"He's an old friend who came by to visit," I told him. "Nothing more."

His eyes widened, and I caught a flicker of surprise in his eyes before he masked it with his smile. "I see. Well, it actually got me worried—sort of. Is he around the area?"

"Um, he said he's just around the corner."

He nodded to himself. "Is there anything you'd like to do, Sandara-dono?"

I looked at him, wondering if he would agree to the plan I have in mind. "Um," I started, "Is it all right if I stay by the shore later? You guys can come if you want."

He smiled, as if he understood. "You need some fresh air," he said. "I understand. It's all right. We'll be keeping an eye on you."

I smiled back in relief. "Thanks, Shiro."

"You're welcome. And oh, Sandara-dono?"

"Yes?"

"Aside from asking you to wear something to keep you warm from the chilly winter breeze, you wouldn't mind a Japanese luncheon today? I'm the one assigned to prepare the lunch."

I couldn't help giggling at Shiro's anxious expression. "As long as there's teriyaki and tempura on it and Japanese tea, it's okay."

He grinned, relief in his face. "Thank you, Sandara-dono."

--

As promised, the five let me stay outside by the shore in the afternoon. Thankfully, the breeze wasn't really that freezing. The sea before me was bleak and gray, but the waves were sort of calm. Weird, I thought to myself as I sat on the sand. But the sea simply reflects what I am inside right now.

By some odd thought, I guess that Shiro let me stay here for a bit so I would get my head sorted. I guess he understood that I can't quite wrap my head around the situation yet . . . but if he only knew that there was also another thing that bugged me for the last few days. As much as I tried to let it slide for a while, even for a long while, it kept on creeping on my head like some poisonous fog.

Let yourself fade before he dissolves.

I shuddered. Damn it, can't at least I get a few minutes of silence from that bloody fog?!

From afar, I heard a voice.

"The sea isn't so calm today," a boy's voice said sadly. "Ah, winter."

I saw a figure walking by the shore some meters away, which seemed to have a bluish mop of hair. The figure was getting nearer and nearer and I could only watch it, trying to distract myself.

"Oh, there's someone!" the boy's voice whooped. "A stranger?"

I heard more footsteps going nearer, and I saw him.

The child was such like an angel—messy, bluish mop of hair, sparkling sapphire eyes, and rosy cheeks. It seemed that he was around ten to twelve years old, given his short height.

"Hello, Miss," the child said, a hint of something in his tone. "Why are you alone? It is best if you would watch the waves with someone."

"Um, that someone is far away," I found myself saying without thinking. "And I like to be alone, even for a while."

"Oops, I'm sorry!" his cherubic face was apologetic. "Did I disturb you?"

"No, no, it's fine," I reassured him. "Do you live here?"