Chapter 11 - Destiny

Chapter Eleven

Destiny

    My parents and I decided that we wouldn't go to Minneapolis until tomorrow morning. I went upstairs to my bedroom early to start packing. I picked up a picture of my best friends and I all together when we were little.

    It was a picture at school when we all dressed up as what we wanted to be when we grew up. I was dressed as a veternarian, Lizzy was dressed as an artist, and Anna was dressed as a teacher. It was the 2nd grade.

    Suddenly my hands started to shake and my throat closed up and tears started to slide down my face. I would never be able to go to collage. I would never be able to have my dream career. Tears fell faster now, combined with eyeliner. My chest heaved and I felt the urge to run. I opened my window and climbed out, jumped off the garage roof into the bushes and ran down the street.

    When I got to 5th street I turned right and saw that the ice cream shop's light was still on. I saw a sign on the window that showed it didn't close for 3 more hours. I went inside and looked around. I had never seen it so empty before. I went to the counter and sat down. The same boy that I saw last time I was here came up to me.

    "Hi. You're back." He said, smiling.

    "Yeah." I gasped and realized I still had blackish streaks of tears on my face. 

   "Are you ok?" He ducked behind the counter and reappeared with a wet napkin. He handed it to me.

    "Not really." My lower lip quivered and I fought the urge to cry again.

    "What's wrong?" He came around to the other side of the counter and sat by me.

    "A whole lot of things." I said.

    "I never got your name last time." He said.

    "I'm Destiny."

    "Emmet." I shook his hand. It was warm and smooth.

    "Nice to meet you." He nodded in response. "So, uh, why are you crying?" He handed me a dry napkin and I blew my nose.

    "Thanks. I uh...just got some very unfortunate news."

    "Oh. Did someone die?" I smiled, thankful there was someone besides my family and friends who showed genuine concern for me.

     "No, more like someone is going to." I felt tears well up inside again and I felt a lump in my throat.

    "Who? Sorry...I'm getting too personal." He turned away. I grabbed his arm.

    "It's ok. It's nice to talk to someone."

    "Thanks. Who's going to die?" The tears spilled over.

    "Me."

------------------------------

Whoa. Even for me...that ending is kind of...it send chills! Anyone else? Poor Emmet! He was just starting to like her! Let's see what he does! Comment! Vote! Like! 

~Elise