Romeo and Juliet

Ava

I hate English. I hate it! I hate it! I HATE IT!!! Evie can't help me or mom will think we're cheating. I'm doing a refresher on Romeo and Juliet, I didn't read the book the first time!

I sit cross legged on the leather couch in the living room. I'm reading through the stupid play out loud. The glasses slip down the bridge of my nose and I shove them back up my nose.

"Urgh, this Tybalt is a real cunt." I say to the empty room as the door opens.

Nikki walks in and flips me off. He sits on the couch beside me.

"Ava Faith." He smirks. "Whatcha doing?"

"Reading Romeo and Juliet fucking bullshit." I admit and he laughs.

"Want help? I mean I think it's meant to be heard not read." Nikki wonders and I look over at him.

"You want to read Shakespeare?" I wonder and he shrugs.

"Why not, I gotta wait for your idiot brother." He explains and I nod.

"Let me go grab Evie's copy." I say and he nods.

Code begin, let's pull a bit of twin magic. Nikki and Evie reading Shakespeare together, so cute! I open the door to our room and I'm hit with the loud uproar of her music. I'm swear she should be deaf. Evie lays on her stomach drawing or something, her glasses are on. She wears a her state championship sweater and a pair of jean shorts.

"Switch clothes with me, right now." I say and she looks at me. "No questions asked."

No questions asked is our code, like Evie and Tommy try to out stupid each other. If one of us says no questions asked, the other has to do whatever the person says without any explanation.

"I am really starting to regret this whole no questions asked thing." Evie admits as we switch outfits.

Evie now wears my Jimi Hendrix top and a different pair of Daisy Dukes. I hand her the second copy of the famous play and send her back up stairs.

Nikki

Ava walks back up the stairs with her glasses in her hair, bangs in her eyes. She shuffles her hair and looks at me for a second, like she's registering what the hell is going on. She looks down at the book in her hands and everything clicks in her head. Ava sits down beside me and smiles.

This isn't Ava and I'm going to kill Vince.

There's a couple of ways to tell the twins apart. First listen to them talk, Evie swears more than any other person on the planet earth. Second they carry themselves differently, Ava is a little more shy and not as open as her twin. Finally (and my favourite), Evie has a cute little scar on her upper lip. She has the scar in her knee as well but that one is my favourite.

Evie is the twin sitting beside me. Vince must've told fucking Ava, I'm going to hurt him!

"Uh, where are we?" Evie wonders pulling her glasses down over her eyes.

"Act 1, scene 5, line 92." I say and she flips to the page.

"Your line? Or am I playing the boy this time?" Evie smirks, she's also a lot more witty.

"No sweetheart, I'm playing the boy." I smile, oh Jesus. I take her hand like the book says. " If I profane with my unworthiest hand This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this: My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss."

"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, Which mannerly devotion shows in this, For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss." Evie reads.

"Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?" I read.

"Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer." Evie reads without looking up.

"Why do you keep calling pilgrim? I don't wear buckles on my shoes." I smirk and she lights up. "O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do. They pray; grant thou, lest faith turn to despair."

"Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake." Evie reads, I read my neck line. I've got to kiss her. I'm going to kiss my best friend's baby sister.

"Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take." I read and I look up at her, she looks as confused as I do.

I lift her chin with my hand, I'm actually going to do this. Good god in heaven. The door opens when I'm about an inch from that cute little scar on her lip. I pull away from her as her brother, Vince, and Mick walk in.

I was so close.

Vince gives me a look like we're going to talk like a couple of teenage girls later.

"Thanks for the help, Nik." Evie smiles and I nod.

"Anytime, Ev--Ava." I save and her eyes grow.

I know my girl, even if she has an identical twin.