Chapter 1

ALEXANDRIANNA POV

That annoying beeping sound of my alarm is the first thing I hear as I'm staring into complete darkness. My only source of dim lighting comes from the moon that's barely shining through my window. I bury my face back into my pillow, groaning because I have to deal with another day of school.

Being a senior in high school has also come with an overwhelming sense of exhaustion that doesn't seem to go away. No matter how much rest I seem to get, I'm still lethargic.

I rub sleep from my eyes and run a hand through my hair, and release a groan when I hit a tangled spot.

"Ow." I grumble, and I sigh before sitting up.

I begin to blindly reach around for my phone, and I nearly blind myself because the brightness is all the way up. It's just after five in the morning, and so starts my everyday routine as a senior in high school. I walk over and flip up the switch on the wall, and my room is illuminated, and I have to squint so I can see.

I pack my work out clothes in my cheer bag because I have practice after school today. Ive been in cheerleading for quite a while, and it keeps me going sometimes. Having this tight camaraderie with these wonderful girls always brightens my mood. Cheerleading was something that I didn't think that I could do simply to the fact that I had no experience, but was determined to learn, and because I was rather introverted, so being in a team with multiple girls would be out of my comfort zone.

My father was the one who encouraged me to try out for cheerleading because he noticed how infatuated I was with the idea. I was so shy, and I didn't believe that I'd make the team, but I did.

All because of my father pushing me to do something I wanted.

Something so simple like a few words of encouragement lead me to a high school experience I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

My father was always the one to make me believe in myself and push me to do things that would make me happy. He was the voice of reason, and he was the one who always knew just how to comfort me. I can still see his wide smile flashing in my mind sometimes, which can bring me joy, but can simultaneously bring me sadness.

Whenever he'd attend the games, I'd always spot him in the crowd, cheering exuberantly for me, and I'd always feel such pride because I made him proud. There was no better feeling that having him hug me tightly and praise me for how hard I worked, and I know there wasn't a single second that he wasn't proud of me. His love was unconditional.

Sometimes I still look in the audience, thinking that I'll find him, but he's never there. Part of me still struggles to deal with the fact that he's gone, and the other half tries to move on and find a way to heal.

My father, the most important man in my life, passed away in a car accident when I was only thirteen. My sister, Laura, had already graduated high school, and our little brothers Spencer and Caleb were still toddlers.

Just thinking about it makes my heart hurt.

My mother received the phone call from the hospital, and the look in her eyes was so haunting. I knew that gravity and severity of the situation was large, and that our family may never recover from it. Everything in me just stopped once I heard that he had a slim chance of surviving. So many different things were rushing through my mind as we rushed to the hospital that day, and some of the thoughts I can still clearly remember.