Chapter 8

ALEXANDRIANNA POV

Once we get home, I make my wake up the steps and into my room. I throw my crutches down, and I collapse onto the bed. My hair splaying and becoming tangled. I turn my phone off completely, and I just blankly stare off into space. My father's voice begins to ring in my head, and it turns into a compilation of the memories I had with him before he died. 

I would like to think he wouldn't be ashamed of me if he knew how much I despised my mother. I never wanted to make him disappointed, and I want to think that he'd be proud of me now regardless of how I've thought of taking myself out of this environment. There were times where the abuse got so bad that I thought of taking my own life, just so I could be with my father again. 

I need to speak to my mom. Get things off of my chest. Dr. Rian Peterson was right, and if I don't speak to her, things won't get resolved. The open wound will just continue to bleed instead of being taken care of. Yes, there will be a scar there, but it will be closed and forgotten about.

The door opens, and I see my mom standing there. She has a smile, and there's no real sign of any emotion she could be internally feeling. 

"Hey, do you want to talk now?" I ask.

"Sure." Mom says, and I sigh.

She doesn't have that smile on her face anymore, and I know something's not right. As she's stepping into the room, that expression doesn't leave her face, and I feel tense. As she approaches me, there's just a different look in her eyes from when she first walked in.

"Well, get everything you need to say off of your chest. I don't have all day." Mom angrily says, and I feel a weight in my stomach.

My fight or flight response instantly kicks in, and I'm not entirely sure if I should just try to get away from her or stay and calmly talk to her and try to resolve our situation.

"Mom, I just want to talk." I say calmly, trying not to set her off with rage.

I can tell she's getting mad.

It doesn't take very long for her to become enraged, and her balled fists and gritted teeth are a dead giveaway. My throat swells up as if I can't breathe, and I can't tell if I'm about to throw up or just simply pass out. 

"You told that bastard to keep me away from you, huh? You can't hide from me, Alex. Nice try, though." She sneers, and I gulp.

The rage in me flares, because Dr. Rian did nothing but help me and even let me confide in him about my issues in the short time that I stayed in the hospital, and he was a good shoulder to lean on for support even though I barely know him. 

"Dr. Rian is not a bastard, he was just looking out for me!" I exclaim.

"Oh please, you're such a weak little thing. Always needing someone else there for you, you need to suck it up."

Suck it up?

She's been abusing me for years, and I need someone to confide in, but I should just suck it up and stay silent?

I don't bother arguing back, so I just bite my lip and look away from her. There's a salty taste in my mouth, causing me to pucker my lips in disgust. I try to swallow the lump down my throat so that I don't cry in front of her because I'm sick of letting her believe that she won. 

"Mom, please, just listen." I say shakily.

"No, you listen. You're my daughter, you listen to me. You're gonna regret telling me to stay away, you little spoiled bitch." She spits, literally.